The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN:Sour Oak Juice and decent Dolcetto and Bordeaux

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN:Sour Oak Juice and decent Dolcetto and Bordeaux

by Brian K Miller » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:39 pm

Last night, for Mr. B's Birthday Party at Wine Styles:

The mysterious Odesea Cotes de Castillon 2005 Bordeaux. All the herbaceous (but not green), savory, earthy flavors I love in good Bordeaux! Not a big bodied wine, but the tannins are not obstrusive at all and this is drinking fine, if austerely, now. Solid 88 points. I lack deep experience in drinking great Bordeaux, properly aged, but I can still enjoy cheapies like this one. Not a single reference to be found in a quick Google, and the shop owner doesn't even remember where he got it . :P

By contrast, the Peju 2004 Napa Valley Zinfandel engenders the question "What was I thinking?" God, the vanilla oak just flows in waves from this wine! It was also thin and relatively fruitless. Others enjoyed it, so maybe it is just me-an instant negative reaction, almost a gag reflex, to the heavy vanilla flavors, thin structure, and sour fruit. 70 points. Ugh.

The Nichelini 2004 Zinffandel, while sharing some of the Peju's flaws, at least had the richness of fruit and mouthfeel to cover the flaws. 78 points

Prunotto 2005 Dolcetto: Dark, savory, plummy, berry fruit. Quiet, fruity, and not a blockbuster. Nice. 85 points.

Watts Family Lodi Dolcetto. Cherry Faygo. Bleh...Just bleh. So, so sweet. 76 points.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach