The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2004 Jean-Paul Thévenet Morgon Vieilles Vignes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

WTN: 2004 Jean-Paul Thévenet Morgon Vieilles Vignes

by Oswaldo Costa » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:25 am

2004 Jean-Paul Thévenet Morgon Vieilles Vignes 13.0%
The cork was a bit stained, which made me worried, but the lovely smell of crushed raspberries emanating from the bottleneck made me relax.

In the glass, the wine was cloudy and unattractive, renewing my worries, but the raspberry and cherry aromas seemed normal, making me (almost) relax again (oh, this life of wine is stressful).

Initially it was somewhat muted, but while Marcia found it bitter, I liked the balance between sweet and sour. Though I am ambivalent about the candied finish often found in beaujolais, I found myself liking the mixture of elements more and more as the wine breathed. The fruit managed to be both serious and fun, an interesting kind of pleasure. I'm not sure to what extent it was compromised by the faulty cork but, if so, it was tasted soon enough so that the damage wasn't fatal (but perhaps it would have been delicious under screwcap).
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 2004 Jean-Paul Thévenet Morgon Vieilles Vignes

by David M. Bueker » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:02 pm

Isn't Thévenet one of the low/no sulfur crowd? If so it could have been compromised by pretty much anything.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:03 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Isn't Thévenet one of the low/no sulfur crowd?

Maybe low sulfur.

Definitely a repeat offender on the brett front.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:13 pm

Oswaldo: Any staining at all of the cork constitutes a fault? Hooboy. I'm probably in trouble, then. :?

It doesn;t sound like you experienced brett here, though?
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:49 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:Oswaldo: Any staining at all of the cork constitutes a fault? Hooboy. I'm probably in trouble, then. :?

It doesn;t sound like you experienced brett here, though?

No brett! The staining, per se, wouldn't constitute a fault but it could be a sign of seepage/excessive oxygen ingress and definitely puts me on guard...
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:53 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Isn't Thévenet one of the low/no sulfur crowd? If so it could have been compromised by pretty much anything.

Absolutely right. Found this about him:
http://www.vinography.com/archives/2008 ... ielle.html
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:58 pm

Oswaldo Costa wrote:2004 Jean-Paul Thévenet Morgon Vieilles Vignes 13.0%
The cork was a bit stained, which made me worried, but the lovely smell of crushed raspberries emanating from the bottleneck made me relax.

In the glass, the wine was cloudy and unattractive, renewing my worries, but the raspberry and cherry aromas seemed normal, making me (almost) relax again (oh, this life of wine is stressful).

Oswaldo, I find wines like this some times too, and have often wondered why they are in this condition. I have actually had this clarity change over the course of drinking the bottle. The first glass or two might be clear then the rest of the bottle is cloudy. Sometimes it might be that way from the beginning, but it is not a pretty sight. I have always just considered it to be a very fine settlement, but if it is, then I would expect it to drop out with time, (or at least improve) but it doesn't. The $64,000 question is what in the heck is it?
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:11 pm

It's most likely some bacterial stuff going on.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:27 am

Had the rest of the bottle last night and it was damn good. Possibly my favorite bojo of the last few years and a producer to look out for. Have two more bottles, so will be exploring bottle variability in the coming months, but this is definitely a producer to investigate.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:46 am

Oswaldo Costa wrote:this is definitely a producer to investigate.

I've been really happy with some of their wines although I may have been lucky because others have definitely complained of brett. I probably need to do more 'research' as well!