The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1997 Gunderloch Auslese

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Martin Barz

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:22 am

WTN: 1997 Gunderloch Auslese

by Martin Barz » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:09 pm

According to the website of Rudi Wiest, this Auslese is still available. BUY

1997 Gunderloch, "Rothenberg" Auslese, Rheinhessen, Germany
A fresh, pure style of Auslese. Like the 2001 Spätlese trocken and 2002 Spätlese “Rothenberg” a few weeks ago, the 97 Auslese present a superb balance.
Impressive young&filigree and not over the top or sticky sweet. Dominant slate minerality with a hint of petrol in the bouquet. A lovely lightness of being on the palate with flavors of passion fruit, orange peel and a touch of nougat in the finish. Fascinating fruit density with 9,5% and this Auslese has a long life ahead. I would drink it solo at the end of a dinner, as it has only a discreet sweetness and not together with cheese or dessert.
No doubt, Agnes und Fritz Hasselbach are gifted winemakers. If you are interest in the history of the estate, here is a great story by Rudi Wiest. History of Gunderloch
92pts.

http://www.snakvin.com/foto/albums/user ... MG9085.JPG
Last edited by Martin Barz on Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
http://berlinkitchen.com
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 1997 Gunderloch Auslese - BUY

by David M. Bueker » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:48 pm

1997 is a vintage that is overall drinking very well now. I had the J. J. Christoffel Erdener Treppchen Riesling Auslese** the other day, and it too was delicious. It was nearly dry (surprisingly), but loaded with Mosel minerality.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:03 pm

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the tasting note. I am a big Gunderloch fan myself. Have you ever tried Gunderloch's 2001 riesling auslese 'Nackenheim Rothenberg'? It is the only white I have in my long term storage wine fridge. I am wondering when it might mature as I only bought only one bottle and am aging it.
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:16 pm

Tom N. wrote:Hi Martin,

Thanks for the tasting note. I am a big Gunderloch fan myself. Have you ever tried Gunderloch's 2001 riesling auslese 'Nackenheim Rothenberg'? It is the only white I have in my long term storage wine fridge. I am wondering when it might mature as I only bought only one bottle and am aging it.

Tom - I have just begun sampling the 2001s and I would wait another 3 years before trying it (minimum).
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:37 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Tom - I have just begun sampling the 2001s and I would wait another 3 years before trying it (minimum).

Thanks David,

That estimate is kinda what I thought. I was tentatively thinking of drinking it for my 60th (not 82nd as some would have you believe) birthday in 2011.
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

Martin Barz

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:22 am

Re: WTN: 1997 Gunderloch Auslese

by Martin Barz » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:06 am

Tom,

I share David´s view, you must show patience. For example, in case of the 02 Spätlese I will wait another 5 years for opening the next bottle. I haven´t tasted 01 Auslese but I think it is worth to wait.

Cheers,
Martin
http://berlinkitchen.com