The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN:88 Salon, 06 G.F. Sœur, 70 LLC, 01 SQN, 04 KB, 63 Taylor

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Gregg G

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:10 pm

Atwater Village, CA.

WTN:88 Salon, 06 G.F. Sœur, 70 LLC, 01 SQN, 04 KB, 63 Taylor

by Gregg G » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:54 pm

A few wonderful wines from a nice dinner last Sunday with David, Conrad and our spouses at Canale restaurant in my home town of Atwater Village. Thanks David & Conrad for bringing some amazing wines.

1988 Salon Champagne Brut Blanc de Blancs - France, Champagne, Le Mesnil Sur Oger, Champagne (12/14/2008)
OMFG, this is so in my wheelhouse I was absolutely mesmerized. As complex a wine as I've ever had. Starting out with a sherried note on the nose, but not in an oxidized way. Butterscotch, carmel, biscuits, red berries and orange peel all present. The aromas kept changing and evolving. As I said, mesmerizing. It took about 1.5-2 hrs to really show it's full character. The palate was luxurious and so delicate with a fine bead and creamy mousse. It just felt like the perfect beverage. Thank you David for a walk down the golden road.

2006 Gros Frere et Sœur Bourgogne Hautes Côtes de Nuits Blanc - France, Burgundy, Bourgogne Hautes Côtes de Nuits (12/14/2008)
This is a super QPR wine, especially considering the Premier Cru blow out. I've consumed about 4 of these so far. Tonight, the wine started out slightly honeyed but that quickly changed in the glass. Showing crushed flowers, grilled nuts, a touch of popcorn and citrus on the nose. As it opened further it revealed a nice smokiness. Persistent attack with a slight bitterness on the finish, though this seemed to disappear later on. Good midpalate presence leads to a very decent finish. This so out performs it's village status. Perhaps my QPR wine of 2008.

1970 Château Léoville Las Cases - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien (12/14/2008)
Conrad wanted to try this, it was a recent purchase. The bottle looked very good with a very high shoulder ullage, just below the curve of the neck. The color shows some slight bricking but not a great deal, mostly crimson in color (the lighting was not ideal). Starts out with herbs, tobacco, some mustiness and touch of currant. The palate is warm and soft, tannins are just about resolved. Somewhat short finish. Not a thrilling wine but an interesting peek. Drink up.

2001 Sine Qua Non Midnight Oil - USA, California, Central Coast (12/14/2008)
Searching back, turns out I had this in 1/05 and loved it. Not much has changed. Wonderful aromas of spice box, herbs, some crush flowers and dark fruits. Great concentration of fruit with precise balance. Absolutely no rough edges. Amazing length. A joy to drink.

2004 Kosta Browne Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (12/16/2008)
Popped and poured. Pretty shy nose at first. Took about 45 minutes to come alive with classic baking spice, black cherry, cola and touch of heat. The palate is rich with concentrated fruit that wraps the palate in it's lush grip. More cola appears. Big and chewy with room to grow. Structure is hanging on for dear life. I suggest drink with in 2 yrs.

1963 Taylor (Fladgate) Porto Vintage - Portugal, Douro, Porto (12/14/2008)
David said this was not the best of bottles and I believe him. I believe it saw about a 6 hr decant. It was a fine wine to drink, but didn't rock my world. Still, when one gets to drink a birth year wine, it's a special event (I just wish something other than port succeeded in '63). I'm ever so appreciative.
Regards,
Gregg
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN:88 Salon, 06 G.F. Sœur, 70 LLC, 01 SQN, 04 KB, 63 Taylor

by Jenise » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:39 pm

Isn't aged Salon amazing? There's nothing else like it--wonder what they do differently that makes their wines so special?

Re the 70 LLC, Mark Lipton recently had a much better bottle, so there ARE good bottles around. Here's his note on it:

http://www.wineloverspage.com/forum/village/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=18788&p=160623&hilit=1970+Leoville#p160623
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov