The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2003 Bogle Merlot

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

Re: WTN: 2003 Bogle Merlot

by ChefJCarey » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:46 am

Hoke wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:With all due respect Hoke - I disagree.

I'm not a fan of the system, but grade inflation is not the system. The scores have gone up because of improved winemaking and the need for hype and glitz.

Point is, the entire system---that of awarding "points" on a precise scale to any and all wines---is the problem.

Once you've accepted that premise, you're ready to swallow anything.

Then it becomes easy to quibble and argue over an 85...or an 84. Like it makes any sense. Or makes any difference.

Keep on tilting, Don. I'll hold your lance.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:03 pm

ChefJCarey wrote:
Hoke wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:With all due respect Hoke - I disagree.

I'm not a fan of the system, but grade inflation is not the system. The scores have gone up because of improved winemaking and the need for hype and glitz.

Point is, the entire system---that of awarding "points" on a precise scale to any and all wines---is the problem.

Once you've accepted that premise, you're ready to swallow anything.

Then it becomes easy to quibble and argue over an 85...or an 84. Like it makes any sense. Or makes any difference.

Keep on tilting, Don. I'll hold your lance.

Thanks, Sancho.

Let me adjust this strap....ahh, that's better.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:02 pm

Bogle merlot is one of the reasons why, when I pour someone a glass of Northstar or Havens or Donadei or what have you, they often say, "THIS is merlot?" Even wine drinkers who should know better often base their low opinion of the grape on mass market brands like Bogle.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:12 pm

Jenise wrote:Bogle merlot is one of the reasons why, when I pour someone a glass of Northstar or Havens or Donadei or what have you, they often say, "THIS is merlot?" Even wine drinkers who should know better often base their low opinion of the grape on mass market brands like Bogle.

I usually use Chateau Petrus for that! :D
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Norman S

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:40 am

Northern Middle TN

by Norman S » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:15 pm

I use no scores other than I like it or it is Ok or Yech!

sorry - just a neophyte.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:41 pm

Norman S wrote:I use no scores other than I like it or it is Ok or Yech!

sorry - just a neophyte.

Norman, you're in good company. Lots of very experienced wine drinkers use the same system you do. It's really all that counts, isn't it?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:45 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:But now you are talking style preferences, not technical quality.

I cannot believe I am going to say this, but wines like Yellow Tail (or Bogle Merlot) are not bad. In fact they are probably about as good as can be technically achieved.

Do wine amateurs like them? Usually not.

It's two different issues.

So David, did you have to bite your tongue in order to type that? :roll: Actually, I do understand and agree with that point of view. There is an ocean of wine out there that is at least drinkable, some of it is in bottles and some in boxes, and with this economy, I might have to start drinking them when I run out of what I have stashed away. :(
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:12 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:But now you are talking style preferences, not technical quality.

I cannot believe I am going to say this, but wines like Yellow Tail (or Bogle Merlot) are not bad. In fact they are probably about as good as can be technically achieved.

Do wine amateurs like them? Usually not.

It's two different issues.

So David, did you have to bite your tongue in order to type that? :roll: Actually, I do understand and agree with that point of view. There is an ocean of wine out there that is at least drinkable, some of it is in bottles and some in boxes, and with this economy, I might have to start drinking them when I run out of what I have stashed away. :(

Yes I did Bob. I mostly typed it because I am so sick of the whole "points" debate. Points are not going away (I don't use them except when forced in a judging situation), and as long as points are around there will be people focused on points.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

by Jon Leifer » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:34 pm

Bravo Norman ..shows you have a clear understanding of what you like and don't like about wines..

when I used to do wine tastings, especially for coporate groups at sales meetings, I wd say that there were only 3 kinds of wines.."Ya like it, Ya don't like it and Ya ain't tried it yet" Everything else is just a variation on this theme..

I have tried Bogle Merlots and I don't like em..
Jon
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:47 pm

I mostly typed it because I am so sick of the whole "points" debate. Points are not going away (I don't use them except when forced in a judging situation), and as long as points are around there will be people focused on points.

I am with David 100%. I do not need anyone to impress upon me that this wine scored 93 pts in WS whatever. Earlier today, I was at an in-store Xmas bash and there were 5 reps pouring. I knew three of them very well, the other two I was not too impressed with. Out came fact sheets and blah blah blah! Give me a break!!
When they realised I knew my stuff (grin wink) and had no time for points, we moved on nicely!!
no avatar
User

Norman S

Rank

Wine geek

Northern Middle TN

by Norman S » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:06 am

I originally tried Bogle because of this rating and the lady who said she liked it and it was great, etc.... but these ratings do not always make it and the people generally know enough to be dangerous!

I know people that know wine but they never try certain stuff but recommend t only to be a total poop out. I trust no one.

That is why I decided to grow my own grapes and make my own wine and at least I am doing and drinking the best that I can and I can live with that!

:D
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:17 pm

Norman S wrote:That is why I decided to grow my own grapes and make my own wine and at least I am doing and drinking the best that I can and I can live with that!

:D

I'm not so sure about that. I think you should send a few bottles of each kind you make to WLDG headquarters and let the staff rate them for you. :P
no avatar
User

Norman S

Rank

Wine geek

Northern Middle TN

by Norman S » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:08 pm

jenise - just bottle my first batch ever - a bergamais - kit - nouveau style. nice color and nice taste!

will be making a chardonnay/semillon this afternoon!

just for the heck of it - where are you located????
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:29 pm

Hi Norman,
Good luck with your vines, and enjoy your new hobby!

Salute
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:24 pm

I haven't tried the Merlot specifically but was once given one of their Petite Sirahs as a gift ... it was pretty poor stuff IMO. Very high alcohol (palate-searing), lots of confected oak (coconut candy / vanilla-candle) ... tiring to drink, and very uninteresting.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
Previous