The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Quinta de la Rosa 1996 Vintage Port

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David Z

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:06 pm

WTN: Quinta de la Rosa 1996 Vintage Port

by David Z » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:01 pm

From half. I figured this would be on the lighter side and ready to drink when I bought it, and it was. Brick red, red fruit, spice, a touch of gingerbread, alcoholic heat, very smooth and velvety tannins (what were left of them). Not too sweet, and generally well balanced. Threw a ton of sediment in the bottle.

This was very nice and elegant. If I had to nitpick, I'd say that the cherry was a little bit medicinal and there was a touch of bitterness at the back of the tongue.

But for $8.99 for a half, this didn't have to be Taylor Fladgate from a declared vintage to be good QPR.

My guess is that this is pretty much mature, but I have limited experience with port (outside of a fantastic collection of 1977's my friend was given at birth which were stored for 25 years, forgotten about, but then delivered to him as a surprise 2 years ago....basically, I've had fine '77's, some 2000's and 2003's, and nothing in between except for a very closed '85 Croft. So, YMMV when it comes to the maturity I guess).
Last edited by David Z on Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: WTN: Quinta de la Rosa 1996 Vintage Port

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:06 am

From the sounds of it, at that price my M wouldn't V. :wink:

Seriously, sounds like a nice port for that price.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child