The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1998 Henry of Pelham Cabernet Merlot

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Norm N

Rank

Cellar rat

Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:58 pm

WTN: 1998 Henry of Pelham Cabernet Merlot

by Norm N » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:14 pm

From arguably Niagara's best red wine vintage ever, this wine has been subsequently called "Unfiltered" Cab-Merlot and "Reserve" Cab-Merlot, but for '98, it was just Cabernet-Merlot (price $29.95).

Still remarkably dark, with little colour evolution. Some simple ripe dark berry notes, with shades of tea but all of that is just a bit dominated by a whack of vanilla from the oak. Tannin has smoothed out considerably since I tasted this in its youth and the finish is now just average. I'm afraid that while this is a perfectly drinkable wine now, it has probably peaked a couple of years ago.

I have a few other '98 reds from other Niagara producers...this one makes me wonder if I should drink the others soon.

Cheers,
Norm
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

Re: WTN: 1998 Henry of Pelham Cabernet Merlot

by Paul B. » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:50 am

Norm,

Thanks for a rare breed of tasting note ;)

It's not often that we see such notes on older Niagara reds, and so I found it particularly interesting.

It's true that '98 was a fantastic year for reds in Ontario - mainly because it was such an uncharacteristically long growing season; and a long growing season is what the Bordeaux varieties like and, typically, need.

I remember the Bacos and Fochs from '98: they had the most intense black-crimson-violet hue with loads of pigment; many were impenetrably black at the core. Foch in particular may still be on the upswing from that vintage, especially from top producers (at the time), like Lakeview and Inniskillin.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

R Cabrera

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:14 pm

NYC

by R Cabrera » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:59 pm

I have these bottles from 1995 - a Marynissen Cab/Merlot, a Williow Heights Merlot and a Vineland Estate Pinot Noir. I've somewhat forgotten about them until this thread came up. I remember being told then, when I purchased these in the wineries, that 1995 was the best ever red wine vintage in Ontario.

Do any of you think if it now is the time to have these wines pulled from an out-of-state storage to be shipped to me?

Thanks.

Ramon
Ramon Cabrera
no avatar
User

Norm N

Rank

Cellar rat

Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:58 pm

by Norm N » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:46 pm

Paul B. wrote:
It's true that '98 was a fantastic year for reds in Ontario - mainly because it was such an uncharacteristically long growing season; and a long growing season is what the Bordeaux varieties like and, typically, need.

Paul, I remember that summer well. It didn't even feel like I was living in Ontario, it was such a long summer. I have had other '98s about a year ago (Cave Spring Merlot, Thirty Bench Merlot, and Hillebrand Trius) that were drinking very well, much better than this HoP. Still a few more left, so hopefully they are still hanging in there.

R Cabrera wrote:I have these bottles from 1995 - a Marynissen Cab/Merlot, a Williow Heights Merlot and a Vineland Estate Pinot Noir. I've somewhat forgotten about them until this thread came up. I remember being told then, when I purchased these in the wineries, that 1995 was the best ever red wine vintage in Ontario.

Do any of you think if it now is the time to have these wines pulled from an out-of-state storage to be shipped to me?

Ramon,
1995 was also a fine vintage. I had my last '95 a few years back. The Marynissen probably has the best chance of having much life left. Please share your thoughts on these wines if you try them.

Cheers,
Norm
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:32 am

Norm N wrote:Paul, I remember that summer well. It didn't even feel like I was living in Ontario, it was such a long summer.

Very true!

As I recall, it was a year where the patio season was very, very long :) It was warm from April through to November ... I remember calling it "Ontario's Californian year" :lol:
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca