The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2005 Weinert Carrascal Mendoza

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

WTN: 2005 Weinert Carrascal Mendoza

by Oswaldo Costa » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:15 am

2005 Weinert Carrascal Mendoza 14.0% 375ml
Part of an investigation of current issue Weinerts that has already disqualified the 04 merlot and 03 cabernet as undrinkable but found the 03 malbec potable. I don't think these attempts by Weinert to jump on the international style bandwagon are available in the US, so I didn't post on them, but I saw the more modest Carrascal at Astor last week.

The Carrascal costs half of the above, which paradoxically promises better results, since it has been my experience that some modern Argentine wineries (e.g., Terrazas) are supercharging their more expensive wines so much (through surmaturité, extraction and oak) that the more modest ones are more balanced, at least for early drinking.

The Carrascal is a blend of malbec, cabernet and merlot, like traditional Argentine wines. Interesting aromas of benzene and leather, tasty blackberries on the palate, with good weight and acid/sweet balance. I preferred this by far to the three mentioned above, and would recommend it for the cost-benefit. But the heinous plastic cork recommends immediate consumption (an 03 tried a few months ago was already oxidized).
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

Re: WTN: 2005 Weinert Carrascal Mendoza

by Tim York » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:26 am

Are Weinert abandoning their traditional style? If so, a pity because I really enjoyed some of their wines from the 90s as well as a fabulous Malbec 1977.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:22 am

Yup, looks like a little Malbec Hound investigation is in order! Fair selection downtown so will pop down there. Which wines am I looking for Oswaldo?
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:39 am

Tim York wrote:Are Weinert abandoning their traditional style? If so, a pity because I really enjoyed some of their wines from the 90s as well as a fabulous Malbec 1977.

From the folks in my Brazilian message board, who have followed Weinert's fortunes more closely, around 2002/3 they succumbed to market pressure and began to try to make wines in the modern style without, however, having the capital to invest in the necessary equipment and facilities. My hope is that they will continue, in parallel, to make wines in the traditional style, and this 2005 Carrascal bears that out to some extent.

Bob, Astor's website shows the 05 Carrascal red and the 07 Carrascal white (which I haven't tried). I suggest you give the 05 carrascal red a try as representing something closer to the traditional style and let us know what you thought.

Tim, the 77 malbec is legendary and I would love to try it someday!

During my trip to Argentina in September, I was astonished at the price differential between old style and new style. Weinerts and Montchenots from the 90s and 80s were available for under $50 while recent top Catenas and other posterboys for the new style were in the triple digits. Enough to make any traditional winery's fold resolve.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:22 am

Oswaldo Costa wrote:
During my trip to Argentina in September, I was astonished at the price differential between old style and new style. Weinerts and Montchenots from the 90s and 80s were available for under $50 while recent top Catenas and other posterboys for the new style were in the triple digits. Enough to make any traditional winery's fold resolve.

Oswaldo, I agree that it is hard for any business man to resist that sort of pressure; provided that he is able to trade equally heavy punches in the new style as the likes of Catena. If he can't, he may regret abandoning the niche which he occupies.

It is sad that the Agentinian market seems to be losing interest in the former Weinert style in favour of a more international style. One of the remarks that struck me at the Cahors Malbec symposium was from a Mendoza wine scientist who said that a lot of their research was going into making their wines taste more alike. :(
Tim York