The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN - Route 66 wine... Don Melchor 2001

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Noland

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:32 pm

Chardon, Ohio

WTN - Route 66 wine... Don Melchor 2001

by Bob Noland » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:08 pm

91% Caberent 9% Cabernet Franc. 14% Alc Decanted 2 hours. - This wine had a complex nose of asphalt (route 66) menthol, green herbs, vanilla and toasted oak which overshadowed the subtle notes of cassis, plum, and blackberry fruit that was lurking with the damp earth. The initial taste was overwhelming tar with some black cherry and roasted meat. The finish was medium in length.

With a dinner of fresh bacon wrapped filet mignon, twice baked potato, grilled asparagus, some bay scallops and sauce bernaise this wine neither enhanced nor detracted, it basically stayed the same. Some tar and black cherry notes were evident with the steak although there was no food it was really fond of. I had planned on a cheese course after dinner of aged Gouda, Monchego, Navarra, and dry Jack. The gouda brought the fruit very forward in this wine and was probably the best match although not exciting. The wine had no real reaction to the Monchego, the Navarra battled with the wine as to which one was more intense and although this was an interesting match, it was more a competition then a match. The dry Jack made this wine tannic and somewhat bitter.

All in all this was an 89 point wine for me and a bit of a dissappointment for my Birthday wine. The nose was the best thing about this wine as it was multi layered and difficult to pin down. However if you ever been on route 66 on a hot day, you have the basic component in this wine. Maybe I had an off bottle from some of the other notes I read but this one just did not show well.
To do is to be. - Socrates
To be is to do. - Jean-Paul Sartre, Plato
Do-be-do-be-do. Frank Sinatra
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

Re: WTN - Route 66 wine... Don Melchor 2001

by Tom N. » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:47 pm

A route 66 road tar wine for someone older than dirt. How appropriate for your Birthday. As a loyal brother, I just had to point this out.
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

JuliaB

Rank

Woman of Mystery

Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:44 pm

Ohio

by JuliaB » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:07 pm

Another Noland Brother birthday !! It's like festivus for the rest of us!

I'm sorry Brother Bob, but you lost me at your first paragraph:
This wine had a complex nose of asphalt (route 66) menthol, green herbs, vanilla and toasted oak which overshadowed the subtle notes of cassis, plum, and blackberry fruit that was lurking with the damp earth. The initial taste was overwhelming tar with some black cherry and roasted meat. The finish was medium in length.

blech, blech, blech.
Your dinner sounds wonderful, though. I hope you enjoyed your day!

Belated Happy Birthday, from one Noland Brother to another!
>clink<
JuliaB
no avatar
User

Bob Noland

Rank

Ultra geek

Chardon, Ohio

by Bob Noland » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:52 pm

Julia,
Thanks for the BD wishes. I agree on your lost at the first paragraph... I was lost on the first sip but kept trying hoping it would get better.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:44 pm

Bob Noland wrote:91% Caberent 9% Cabernet Franc. 14% Alc Decanted 2 hours. - This wine had a complex nose of asphalt (route 66) menthol, green herbs, vanilla and toasted oak which overshadowed the subtle notes of cassis, plum, and blackberry fruit that was lurking with the damp earth. The initial taste was overwhelming tar with some black cherry and roasted meat. The finish was medium in length.

A belated Happy Birthday Bob, lets see, this is your second at 39, which make James about 29, and Tom 79. :-) I believe I could have almost liked this wine, I don't mind tarry notes, nor black cherry, I do like menthol/eucalyptus and all the rest that you put a name to, except of course the green herbs. I find a lot of that on Chilean cabernet, especially in the $25 dollar and below price range. So much so that I don't think I have purchased one other than the Montes Alpha which I find to age very well for up to 8 -10 years.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bob Noland

Rank

Ultra geek

Chardon, Ohio

by Bob Noland » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:00 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:
Bob Noland wrote:91% Caberent 9% Cabernet Franc. 14% Alc Decanted 2 hours. - This wine had a complex nose of asphalt (route 66) menthol, green herbs, vanilla and toasted oak which overshadowed the subtle notes of cassis, plum, and blackberry fruit that was lurking with the damp earth. The initial taste was overwhelming tar with some black cherry and roasted meat. The finish was medium in length.

A belated Happy Birthday Bob, lets see, this is your second at 39, which make James about 29, and Tom 79. :-) I believe I could have almost liked this wine, I don't mind tarry notes, nor black cherry, I do like menthol/eucalyptus and all the rest that you put a name to, except of course the green herbs. I find a lot of that on Chilean cabernet, especially in the $25 dollar and below price range. So much so that I don't think I have purchased one other than the Montes Alpha which I find to age very well for up to 8 -10 years.

Bob,
Thanks for the Birthday wishes and you have that math absoulutly correct. Tom does act like he is 79 :wink: I had this wine once before and it was much better then what I had yesterday so I still think that it was either bottle variation or just a bad bottle of the Don Melchor. However I did do much better tonight. We stopped and picked up some fresh Tuna steaks for dinner and opened up a 05 Loring Clos Pepe Pinot Noir. This wine was excellent and much more to my liking. Unfortunately this is getting to be a very expensive week... Oh well maybe they call it the 12 days of christmas due to the great wines we drink each day during this holiday? Sounds like a plan to me!
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:31 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:Bob, lets see, this is your second at 39, which make James about 29, and Tom 79. :-)

Hi Bob H.

Most people gain in wisdom with age. Unfortunately that is not always true and some brothers seem to think it wise to exagerate their sibling's age.
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:42 am

Tom N. wrote: Hi Bob H.
Most people gain in wisdom with age. Unfortunately that is not always true and some brothers seem to think it wise to exagerate their sibling's age.

Hello Brother Tom. Did I exaggerate someones age? Yours? I guess it is just the wisdom you exhibit that makes you seem older than your years! :lol:
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bob Noland

Rank

Ultra geek

Chardon, Ohio

by Bob Noland » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:53 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:
Tom N. wrote: Hi Bob H.

Hello Brother Tom. Did I exaggerate someones age? Yours? I guess it is just the wisdom you exhibit that makes you seem older than your years! :lol:

Wisdom??? so that is the politically correct way to say it these days....