The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Forgive me for I have sinned (also a WTN!)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Forgive me for I have sinned (also a WTN!)

by Brian K Miller » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:02 pm

One of my favorite shops had 1996 Mayacamas! Based on my past experience with this wine, I could not resist :oops: :evil:

Anyway...

2004 Nicholson Ranch Pinot Noir

http://www.nicholsonranch.com/

Definitely a California Pinot-no mistaking this for Burgundy or even Oregon, but this wine is not a fruit bomb in any way. Very dark in color. Quite nice high toned black cherry fruit, with some nice earthyness providing a balance. Alcohol does not show. Over the evening, that creamy finish that I noted in the Fort Ross Pinot begins to come out here as well-with a distinct savory note adding further interest.

A very nice Sonoma Carneros Pinot Noir. 90 points

2006 Elizabeth Spencer Rousanne. (Mendocino County). A very enjoyable medium bodied wine. Not sure what terms I would use to describe the flavors-I am having writers' block here! It has the richness I would associate with a Chard, but the fruits are different. 90 points also.

1998 Sergio Traverso Gran Reserva (Chile) Very much the earthy, leathery side of Cabernet. Great mouth feel, with excellent fuzzy tannins. Tobacco, earth, leather, a smidgeon of nice black fruit. Balanced alcohol. This is from the monsoon vintage (Vintage score of 76 points in WS) but I have to say I really enjoyed this wine. It also seemed to fall apart over the evening, and it became thinner and somewhat bretty. So...if you can pop and pour and sip, a great Chilean cab. 91 points declining to 84.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach