The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2007 Selbach 'Schmitt' Spatlese - wondrous wine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: 2007 Selbach 'Schmitt' Spatlese - wondrous wine

by David M. Bueker » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:36 am

At a dinner party with dear friends we opened the 2007 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Schlossberg Riesling Spatlese 'Schmitt'. This bottling is from a specific parcel within the Zeltinger Schlossberg (that's the Schmitt), and is picked as an entire block rather than in the successive pass method that normally is used for German Riesling. In prior years the Schmitt had been an auslese, and really more like a high-class beerenauslese released at an absurdly low price. Well despite 2007 being a fairly ripe vintage (though with better balance that 2006 or 2005 IMO) the Schmitt only came in as what was released as a spatlese (I am certain it's solid auslese in must weight).

The wine is fascinating and emminently drinkable. Like its "basic" Schlossberg Spatlese brother (which I reported on previously) it has abundant lime, apple & hard peach fruit, and also vibrant and balanced acidity. What the Schmitt has is a sense of wine that has been suffused with the essence of glacial meltwater, carrying ancient stone from eons past directly into the glass. Much like looking into a crevasse of the glacier, the wine has stunning beauty and depth that goes beyond seeing (or in this case tasting). This is Riesling distilled to its etheral essence, and a reminder that the great Rieslings, whether they be from Alsace, Germany, Austria, Australia or Alpha Centauri are all Riesling at the core.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

Re: WTN: 2007 Selbach 'Schmitt' Spatlese - wondrous wine

by David Lole » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:57 am

Wonderful note. One can appreciate an intrinsic sense of place here with those rare and wonderful references to stones, glaciers and meltwater.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:11 am

The Schlossberg has become my favorite site from Selbach. The mineral depths of the wines (every wine) are exactly what I look for in Riesling.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:31 am

I'm really glad I managed to get two bottles at Table& Vine (and I may need to get some more once I'm back in town, given how that wine sounds). Can't wait to start cracking open some of my stash in the new year.