The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Gift ideas....

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Liz Gray

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:06 am

San Jose

Gift ideas....

by Liz Gray » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:22 am

So I need gift ideas for an aspiring wine snob. He has a nice decanter that he doesn't use. Riedel stem ware. A wine fridge (that happens to be full).

I would appreciate any ideas!
Just because I am cynical, doesn't mean I'm wrong. (tm)
http://www.elizabeth-gray.net
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

Re: Gift ideas....

by Jo Ann Henderson » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:19 am

You might want to try this introductory offer by Amazon.com. The price is right and you are under no obligation for future purchases.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Liz Gray

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:06 am

San Jose

by Liz Gray » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:12 am

That's a really good idea. I think I might just do that. Thanks!
Just because I am cynical, doesn't mean I'm wrong. (tm)
http://www.elizabeth-gray.net
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:01 pm

Since I know the geek in question, does he have a copy of The Oxford Companion to Wine? It would be really appropriate and expand his knowledge. If you purchase it from the link on Wine Lovers Page, a small sum will be donated to keeping this place going.

Or a copy of Robin's The 30 Second Wine Advisor: Learn about wine in 30-second tastes -- quick, easy & fun.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:00 pm

I can't remember who makes it, but there was a kit of aroma essences (little glass vials) that you could use to spike wine. The idea was to learn what the aromas were, become more accurate in aroma descriptions, and see how different aromas react. I tried it at a seminar and thought is was very educational.

Maybe one of the geeks in the Wine Forum would know the name and source? I bet Hoke in particular would know (I ran into this kit at a seminar he was hosting), so you might drop him a PM if this is appealing.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:55 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:I can't remember who makes it, but there was a kit of aroma essences (little glass vials) that you could use to spike wine. The idea was to learn what the aromas were, become more accurate in aroma descriptions, and see how different aromas react. I tried it at a seminar and thought is was very educational.

Maybe one of the geeks in the Wine Forum would know the name and source? I bet Hoke in particular would know (I ran into this kit at a seminar he was hosting), so you might drop him a PM if this is appealing.

Stuart, the one you had with me was 'homemade' by our hospitality person and all around off-the-grid moutain girl, Colleen, up at Bonterra. She makes them up as needed, with about 12-18 different aroma essences.

But there is a commercial one (not as good as ours, but there you go). It's called Le Nez. The primary one is huge, with lots of little vials (some of them vile) and imo its way overpriced. But I believe there are smaller versions.

But Liz might want to call the Society of Wine Educators (http://www.societyofwineeducators.org). They had---and I think still have---available a kit created by a very good perfume master in New York. I've been through one of his seminars, and he does a good job with the essences. Call 202-408-8777.
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:18 am

Stuart Yaniger wrote:I can't remember who makes it, but there was a kit of aroma essences (little glass vials) that you could use to spike wine. The idea was to learn what the aromas were, become more accurate in aroma descriptions, and see how different aromas react. I tried it at a seminar and thought is was very educational.

The Wine Enthusiast sells something like this on their website. I never tried one since I find it so much more satisfying to sniff the real thing.
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:30 pm

Doug Surplus wrote:

The Wine Enthusiast sells something like this on their website. I never tried one since I find it so much more satisfying to sniff the real thing.

Er, Doug....they're not in lieu of the real thing, dude. :)

It can be interesting to take a base wine and "doctor" it up with a bit of an isolated essence and then have people try to identify what that is. It can be surprisingly difficult to pick out and identify (rather, it's easy to pick them out, difficult to successfully identify, even with some very basic, very common aromas). We generally do this with a red base and a white base, and then selectively doctor with aromas that are commonly identified with particular varieties.

But the first thing we tell the participants is "Don't drink this wine!" :D
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:44 pm

Hi Liz,

How about a Laguiole corkscrew? Most wine geeks I know would really appreciate one of those.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:17 am

I like Dave's idea. Another idea, if you can find one, is some sort of cool antique corkscrew.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Neil Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:39 pm

Auckland, New Zealand

by Neil Courtney » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:02 pm

Cheers,
Neil Courtney

'Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it.' --- Anonymous.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:25 pm

Neil Courtney wrote:How about a magnetic wine aging device? :P

Neil, I heard that our resident scientist, Stuart Yaniger, experimented with those things...only he turned them around backwards to reverse the polarization, and then carried one around in his front pants pockets for several days.

Sadly, I heard the experiment did not produce the expected results. So it's just the same old thing...
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:31 pm

But, boy, can I hit those high notes now!
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

by Bruce Hayes » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:50 pm

Hoke wrote:

Stuart, the one you had with me was 'homemade' by our hospitality person and all around off-the-grid moutain girl, Colleen, up at Bonterra. She makes them up as needed, with about 12-18 different aroma essences.

But there is a commercial one (not as good as ours, but there you go). It's called Le Nez. The primary one is huge, with lots of little vials (some of them vile) and imo its way overpriced. But I believe there are smaller versions.

But Liz might want to call the Society of Wine Educators (http://www.societyofwineeducators.org). They had---and I think still have---available a kit created by a very good perfume master in New York. I've been through one of his seminars, and he does a good job with the essences. Call 202-408-8777.

When I first open the wine in our kitchen and my wife and I are still sniffing, she will often dig through her spice cupboard to confirm something she has smelled on the nose.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:23 pm

Bruce Hayes wrote:
Hoke wrote:

When I first open the wine in our kitchen and my wife and I are still sniffing, she will often dig through her spice cupboard to confirm something she has smelled on the nose.

And that's part of why she smells better than you, Bruce. 8)

Seriously, women are generally more attuned to aromas than us lowly men. And they generally pay more attention to that element, and consequently remember that element in their wine sensory banks.

I think a part of that is biological and part is conditioning. The biolgoical part would be the sensitivity to baby smells; the conditioning part would be the historical involvement with food ("Hmm. This smells bad" May be spoiled. Or even " If I put these herbs in they'll like my stew."), as well as cosmetics and perfumes.

sigh Just another advantage women have over us males. Thank god for upper body strength and cluelessness on our side. It's pretty much all we've got left.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Somewhat off topic

by JC (NC) » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:37 pm

The idea of the collection of aromas from a perfume maker reminds me of our visit to Galimard in Grasse where we concocted our own perfume or cologne with the help of a "nose." We each had about sixty or seventy perfume scents from which to draw.
Also, on an Antiques Roadshow I saw recently, they appraised an antique kit for a medical school with dozens of tins of sample medicines (early 20th century I believe--maybe even from the 19th century.) All but three tins still had
contents. One that was empty had formerly held Cannabis. (The man that brought in the kit for appraisal said his brother got hold of that one.)
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:41 pm

Doug Surplus wrote:

The commercial one is Le Nez du Vin by Jean Lenoir and is available in the US through Make Scents of Wine in many different forms. I agree that it's a very educational tool for the aspiring winegeek and also that it's overpriced -- but I know folks in the flavors and fragrances industry. The other suggestion I had was a Laguiole corkscrew, but I see that that's been covered, too.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Wink Lorch

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:16 pm

London/France

by Wink Lorch » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:50 am

OK, I confess that I'm on this list, but I thought the Enobytes blog did a really interesting run down of unusual gifts for the wine lover at all prices.
Wink Lorch - Wine writer, editor and educator
http://winetravelmedia.com and http://jurawine.co.uk
Also http://www.winetravelguides.com
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:45 pm

Nice suggestions, Wink.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:51 pm

...I'll send you all my corks and he can build a house.