The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Better than average dinner wines!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Richard Fadeley OLD

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue May 09, 2006 10:42 pm

WTN: Better than average dinner wines!

by Richard Fadeley OLD » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:39 pm

A large business group I'm in held their annual Christmas party at a promenient venue last night and rather than drink their house pour (Mondavi Napa wines, white and red) I opted to take a few bottles.
For starters we opened a Charles Ellner NV Champagne. This bottle, like the last one I had from this source, was less than vigorous and I would say disappointing. Bought on a close-out and probably not a good buy. I'm sure not representative of a typical Ellner.
With a meaty lobster bisque I poured a Macon Villages '07 (I will edit this post to include the producer soon). This was clean, crisp and on-point and perfect with the lobster. One out of two so far!
Then with a portebello mushroom and quail (funny that a non wine-geek would manage to pick these two that go so well together) I re-opened a Bouchard '05 Beaune de Chateau 1st Cru. I had opened and double decanted about two hours earlier. This had "gained wieght" and was beautiful, maybe 91 pts. and perfect with the quail. Shows a lot of promise for future development. I had salmon with this wine but others were having tenderloin so I opened:
Sociando Mallet 2000 Haut Medoc. Best ever showing for this wine. After a 5 hour decant I put back in the (rinsed out) bottle, chilled a little and poured. It was stunning. Probably 93-94 pts. and just perfect. They had with beef and I had with a chocolate dessert. Only cigars could have been a better pairing.
If you are holding any of this I would say that it is (with a 4-5 hour decant) starting to approach its drinking window.
Great wine night, but I was the only one that was really digging the wines. Ever been there?
Richard Fadeley, CWS
aka Webwineman
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

Re: WTN: Better than average dinner wines!

by wrcstl » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:08 am

Richard,
Good notes and hard to go wrong with decent wines from these areas. I always have a problem when serving young wines. Decanting for several hours and then pouring back in the bottle is an excellent solution. Most '05s Burgs are great but must be decanted or they are just too young to show.
Walt