The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: The perfect thing to drink after a day of flying

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

WTN: The perfect thing to drink after a day of flying

by Salil » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:15 pm

Right now sitting in a lounge in Taipei Airport in transit after a fairly tiring flight (19 hours, give or take a bit) from NY and a few more hours in the air ahead. Went to the dining bar to grab a bite and was startled/delighted to see an ice bucket in the drinks area with a bottle of 2003 JJ Christoffel Urziger Wurzgarten Riesling Spatlese.

Just had to grab a glass, and this is delicious (hardly a surprise considering the producer). Has the sweetness/weight of an Auslese with very youthful flavours of sweet limes, red apples, slate, lots of spices and vanilla and some hints of strawberry and cherry. Very round, creamy mouthfeel with decent acidity and a clean medium-long finish. This may not show the depth or precision of Christoffel's Spatlesen from other vintages, but right now it's drinking really nicely - incredibly tasty and refreshing, and I'll happily grab another glass soon. :D
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: The perfect thing to drink after a day of flying

by David M. Bueker » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:00 am

If the airport in Hartford had Christoffel I might never get out of town.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:40 am

Interesting. Out of curiosity, what other wines did they have? Were they all well-chosen?
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:07 pm

After most 19 hour flights, I find myself thinking that the perfect thing to drink is cyanide.

(Your idea is a much better one!)
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:08 pm

Rahsaan wrote:Interesting. Out of curiosity, what other wines did they have? Were they all well-chosen?

The remainder of the selection wasn't particularly impressive - there was a Peter Lehmann Chardonnay and a couple of Bordeaux I'd never heard of (one bottle was 2003 Chateau Beaumont, the other I can't remember). Those are the sorts of wines I've normally seen in airport lounges around the far east, so my reaction upon seeing Christoffel Spatlese was first "What the hell?!", then I grabbed the nearest available glass.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:17 pm

Salil Benegal wrote:
Rahsaan wrote:Interesting. Out of curiosity, what other wines did they have? Were they all well-chosen?

The remainder of the selection wasn't particularly impressive - there was a Peter Lehmann Chardonnay and a couple of Bordeaux I'd never heard of (one bottle was 2003 Chateau Beaumont, the other I can't remember). Those are the sorts of wines I've normally seen in airport lounges around the far east, so my reaction upon seeing Christoffel Spatlese was first "What the hell?!", then I grabbed the nearest available glass.

Yes, that does make it all the more remarkable.
no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:47 pm

Boston

Pemier Cru ships to Taipei???

by Charles Weiss » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:40 pm

They must get PC's e-mails :lol: (9/05 for $7.99/bottle)
But I suspect those same grey market goods were offered in other wine-loving areas as well.
Whatever the reason, what a pleasant surprise for the situation.
Charles
Charles Weiss