The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2006 Reif Estate Pinot Noir (Niagara River VQA)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

WTN: 2006 Reif Estate Pinot Noir (Niagara River VQA)

by Paul B. » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:28 pm

$15 at Vintages. Solid, high-quality natural cork closure.

12.5% alc./vol. Clear, light-/medium-ruby colour. With a day's worth of aeration, the wine came together on the nose to display characteristic "Cherry Life Savers" (cherry candy) and a dash of black pepper; quite a nice ethereal nose, although it did need the decanting to really come into its own. Some light oak spice is also noted, as is a bretty note that lingers in the emptied glass. Crisp acidity with a lithe and light body; nice chalky tannins appear on the mid-palate, with good flavour replays occurring immediately after. Grippy tannins on a relatively light frame. Exemplary dryness - and I really enjoy the grippy tannins. A pretty good Pinot from a weak vintage.

I guess '06 wasn't as bad as the weather back then led me to believe it would be.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

Re: WTN: 2006 Reif Estate Pinot Noir (Niagara River VQA)

by Tom N. » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:56 pm

Hi Paul,

Sounds like a decent pinot. I have had some other wines from Reif that I really liked. I ordered a half case of their gewurztraminer a couple of years ago. Great nose of lychees and rose petals.
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: WTN: 2006 Reif Estate Pinot Noir (Niagara River VQA)

by Howie Hart » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:52 pm

I've had some decent PNs and Gamay from Reif's neighbor, Inniskillin, in the same price range.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.