The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Nahe, Minervois, & Monferrato at a book talk

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Nahe, Minervois, & Monferrato at a book talk

by Dale Williams » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:21 pm

Last night we went to some friends' home for what was billed as "first annual" dinner and discussion of the winner of the Man Booker prize. As this year's winner ("White Tiger" by Aravind Adiga) is set in India, everyone brought Indianesque food (Madhur Jaffrey's chicken with lemon and onions for Betsy). Nice conversation, good food, and some wines:

2006 Monte Degli Angeli Pinot Noir (Monferrato)
OK, I think I liked this better than once previously, but still doesn't ring my bells. Sweet light cherry fruit, a little hint of vanilla extract, quite short on finish. C+/B-

2007 Donnhoff Riesling (Nahe)
This was a great counterpart to the great variety of flavors. Lovely balance, bright acids, sweetness is there but doesn't stick out at all. Citrus and pit fruits, rain on rocks, light and lovely. B++

2007 Ch. d'Oupia Minervois
Black berry and plum fruit, supple tannins, enough acidity, decent length. Not as good a match as the Riesling, but a nice wine and a good value at $11. A bit more structured than its VdP cousin Les Heretiques. B/B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

Re: WTN: Nahe, Minervois, & Monferrato at a book talk

by Salil » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:46 am

No surprise that the Donnhoff showed best alongside Indian food. I've struggled to pair reds with a lot of Indian (or Indianesque) dishes - have managed it with some cooler climate Aussie Syrahs and NZ Syrah occasionally, as strange as that may sound - but German and Alsace whites (or NZ Riesling/SB) consistently work really well.

(And hey - we've got to catch up some time in the new year once I get back to CT over some good Indian food and Riesling :))
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Nahe, Minervois, & Monferrato at a book talk

by David M. Bueker » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:01 am

Hmm...2007 Donnhoff Estate Riesling. Punching way above its weight class in terms of quality this year. Oh wait, that's every year. Great stuff, blah, blah, blah.
Decisions are made by those who show up