The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Recent tastes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

WTN: Recent tastes

by Florida Jim » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:08 am

1995 Snowden, Cabernet Sauvignon:
My last bottle from a case and I am not sad to see it go. The winemaker started with terrific fruit; ripe, concentrated, varietally pleasing and then the barrel program blew it. It’s not heinously over-oaked but it’s to the point that the fruit gets hidden behind a bit of vanilla here and a dab of dill there. Sometimes, a good dose of the fruit gets through and it’s delicious but too often there’s an overlay of wood. And at 13 years out, I can’t see it integrating. Maybe some will see this as complex; I don’t.

2006 Edmunds St, John, That Old Black Magic:
Ah yes, all wine, no trees. A co-fermentation of grenache and syrah, this has a southern Rhône attitude and a CA intensity. Nuanced aromatics; a complete wine in the mouth with fine grained flavors, good structure and despite its 14.3% alcohol, an elegant and medium weight delivery. A joy to drink, especially after the preceding wine.

1993 Dom. Tempier, Bandol:
Had a slight onion smell and flavor and is not full resolved – other than that, a very interesting bottle but one I would never have guessed from Bandol.

1999 Juge, Cornas Cuvée SC:
Clearly of its place, fairly integrated and definitely in the feminine spectrum for the AOC. Has fleshed out some since the last bottle I had in October and carries a sort of ash note amid solid Cornas/syrah scents and flavors.

Quilceda Creek, Cab./Merlot/Cab. franc blend:
I didn’t catch the year and really don’t care; way too oaky on both the nose and palate – well past my threshold for such things.

2007 Biggio Hamina, Melon:
A new winery in Oregon that appears to believe less is more; this is bright, acidic but balanced with pretty good depth and sustain. Not Luneau-Papin but a nice wine and quite good with chicken Caesar salad with crusty olive bread. A producer worth watching.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

R Cabrera

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:14 pm

NYC

Re: WTN: Recent tastes

by R Cabrera » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:20 am

Florida Jim wrote:1993 Dom. Tempier, Bandol:
Had a slight onion smell and flavor and is not full resolved – other than that, a very interesting bottle but one I would never have guessed from Bandol.

I recently had the 1993 Cuvee Speciale and the La Miguoa from this producer. I found the nose slightly unappealing, but the wines went well with food.
Ramon Cabrera
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:06 pm

There's no way I can see Jim Cowan enjoying a Quilceda Creek wine. Most of mine have gone to charity auction so that the scores raise lots of money for worthy causes.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

by Florida Jim » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:47 am

David M. Bueker wrote:There's no way I can see Jim Cowan enjoying a Quilceda Creek wine. Most of mine have gone to charity auction so that the scores raise lots of money for worthy causes.

David,
I tasted this wine at a local wine store that does tastings every Fri. and Sat. The Saturday edition seems to attract those who like to bring wine from their cellars, so we always have a few 'mystery bottles' to taste and discuss. The QC was one of those.
The guy who brought it is a really pleasant, humorous man but he is a points guy - something I haven't run into in quite awhile.
The next several Saturdays should be interesting; he always brings something pointy and we all taste it blind. Both he and I will get some pretty experienced input regarding those kinds of wines as almost nobody else at the tasting knows them or reads the reviewers. Should be instructive.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars