The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Twice Too Round

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

WTN: Twice Too Round

by Rahsaan » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:38 am

2006 Claude Branger Muscadet Terroirs Les Gras Moutons
Round salty fat Muscadet. Not terribly dense or heavy and still light enough on its feet to be recognizable in the category. But a bit too round for my liking.

2007 Vollenweider Wolfer Goldgrube Riesling Spätlese
Round and sweet. And given the whole package it is a bit too round for my liking. It does pick up a bit of definition with air and who knows maybe even more to come in the future? But not very much breed or complexity so I guess/hope I need to open the 07 Portz to find that.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Twice Too Round

by David M. Bueker » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:06 am

If you are opening a 2007 for precise minerality I think you need to wait a while, or alternatively get some of the 2007 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Schlossberg 'Schmitt' Spatlese.

I'll go back to something I have said elsewhere - Daniel's wines are getting a little too Loosen-esque for my tastes.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:47 am

David M. Bueker wrote:If you are opening a 2007 for precise minerality I think you need to wait a while...

Precise minerality is one thing and being focused and complex is another. I didn't expect Muller Scharzhofberger but even in the idiom I was underwhelmed. I thought that maybe the 'better' material would be in the 07 Portz so was thinking about opening that, but several people have been counseling to wait on both bottlings because their best days are ahead. While that may be true, I still think I got an accurate read on this one.

But I could be wrong.

I'll go back to something I have said elsewhere - Daniel's wines are getting a little too Loosen-esque for my tastes

I agree. I don't think I'll be filling my cellar with these wines. But I recently saw some very good prices so I figured I would get a few bottles for 'scientific purposes'. :D
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:04 pm

I know you saw some good prices. I saw the same. The source of the prices is correct about the kabinett. If I remember I will drop one at a secret location in DC for you.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:03 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:If I remember I will drop one at a secret location in DC for you.

Thanks for the idea. No pressure, I'm sure I'll find it eventually. But if you do remember I certainly won't object..