The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1998 Dubreuil-Fontaine Corton-Perrieres

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David Z

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:06 pm

WTN: 1998 Dubreuil-Fontaine Corton-Perrieres

by David Z » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:57 pm

The random-cheapo-older-Burg-of-the-week at Garnet. Chose it over an equivalently priced Mugneret-Gibourg 2003 Vosne-Romanee, with some trepidation....

....but the nervousness was unwarranted; this was quite good. Mature, with an advanced color, cherry, brown sugar, and autumnal secondary notes. Very sweet, particularly on the nose. Still noticeably tannic, but nothing like the young Corton's I've tried. In terms of intensity and length this is below the finest CdB 1er's I've had (eg: good 1ers from Volnay) but definately punches above your typical CdB 1er, which makes sense given the vineyard. As bottom-hill GC Corton goes, I imagine this is pretty decent.

Nice stuff. Would definately buy again at $40.
Chadderon was the importer, but wasn't the importer on the 2005 of this same wine (which was the next bottle over on the shelf, and over 50% more expensive!)
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: 1998 Dubreuil-Fontaine Corton-Perrieres

by Rahsaan » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:29 am

David R wrote:the 2005 of this same wine (which was the next bottle over on the shelf, and over 50% more expensive!)

Such is the crazy nature of wine prices. In many cases these 05 wines may indeed be much 'better'. But, probably not as much better as the price indicates and certainly not for drinking today.
no avatar
User

David Z

Rank

Ultra geek

by David Z » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:42 am

Rahsaan wrote:
David R wrote:the 2005 of this same wine (which was the next bottle over on the shelf, and over 50% more expensive!)

Such is the crazy nature of wine prices. In many cases these 05 wines may indeed be much 'better'. But, probably not as much better as the price indicates and certainly not for drinking today.

Given the structure and tightness of the '05s from more traditionally generous appellations, I can't imagine how brutal '05 Cortons must taste right now. That's a bold kind of infanticide, especially at these prices...
no avatar
User

David Z

Rank

Ultra geek

by David Z » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:16 pm

Day 2 Update, after 24h under inert gas:

This wine was a one-night only engagement. Color has advanced to a reddish orange, melon colored at the rim. The fruit has largely left the building, replaced with a cabbagey odor, VA, and on the palate, the now-unconcealed grip of still-firm tannins. Good while it lasted, but drink up.