The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Gamay from Loire and Beaujolais, + a southern VdP

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Gamay from Loire and Beaujolais, + a southern VdP

by Dale Williams » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:02 pm

Friday with a quick dinner of leftovers, the 2007 Familie Iche "Les Heretiques" Vin de Pays de l'Herault. Juicy, forward, earthy, nice. Dark berries, decent acids for the south, not trying to be anything more than what it is - a nice ripe and slightly rustic red. I miss the days this was $6, but at $9 still a very good value. B

Later, I went over to Marc's for our monthly local tasting group. Theme was Gamay, blind as usual.

Wine #1 : black cherries and raspberries, nice balance of ripeness and acids, a nicely structured Beaujolais with good length, a bit of a coffee note makes me confused for a moment. I like a lot. All agree a bigger Beaujolais, I take a stab at Julienas or Brouilly. It's the 2006 Diochon "Vieilles Vignes" Moulin-a-Vent. B+

Wine #2: This is mine, so no guesses. Out of magnum, redder fruit, bright acids, a pretty good dose of horse's ass. Too bretty for one taster, a couple of others say they like, couple others question what we are talking about. It's just under my limit, much more and I wouldn't drink this, as it is I revisit a couple of times during night. Holding up well for it's age, the one guess is late 90s, it's the 1989 Pierre Ferraud (Domaine Rolland) Brouilly. B/B-

Wine #3- again, a rather structured and ripe Beaujolais. I like, remark it's similar to the first, so I'm guessing 2006. Rob tries to throw false hints, but it is similar, it's also the 2006 Diochon "Vieilles Vignes" Moulin-a-Vent. B+/B

Roger and Rob both bought at local store, where there is limited selection of non-DuBoeuf Beaujolais. Turns out Alex ALSO brought the same wine, so I tell him to put cork back in, and we'll use my backup bottle.

Wine #4- Dark color, black and red fruit, moderate acidity, light tannins. I'm not loving this, but not bad. I'm thinking Moulin-a-Vent or Morgon, but I'm in wrong region, it's the Loire, though without that potted plant/geranium thing I often get in Loire Gamay. NV Puzelat "Le Telquel" B/B-

Wine #5- Red candied fruit, a little herbal note, not impressed, I'm thinking '03 Beaujolais, wrong region again, once I know I do get just a hint of the pottled plant thing. It's the 2005 Bellevue Touraine Gamay, C+

Wine #6 - my backup substituted for third Diochon. Nice ripe red and black cherries, some smoke, decent finish. 2006 Brun (Terres Dorees) Cote de Brouilly. B+/B

Wine #7 - maraschino cherries with pine needles and green pepper, short, really my least favorite of the night. 2007 Cloister de Clerget Beaujolais-Villages. C

Fun night with the guys, spirited debates about music and life.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Gamay from Loire and Beaujolais, + a southern VdP

by Rahsaan » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:05 pm

Dale Williams wrote: NV Puzelat "Le Telquel" B/B-

Even though it can't be labelled as such, isn't this all from one vintage?
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:26 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Wine #6 - my backup substituted for third Diochon. Nice ripe red and black cherries, some smoke, decent finish. 2006 Brun (Terres Dorees) Cote de Brouilly. B+/B

Dale, what closure was there on this bottle? Mine under synthetic stoppers are curiously muted.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:12 pm

Rahsaan, no idea, nver seen before.

Tim, black synthetic cork. This didn't seem muted to me.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:34 am

Dale, here is my TN dating from late October -

Côtes de Brouilly 2006 – Domaine des Terres Dorées (J-P Brun) was an enjoyable but not outstanding Beaujolais cru. The nose is almost dumb and I cannot help wondering whether the black synthetic stopper, which Brun has misguidedly used, plays an aroma scalping role. On the palate the wine was eminently quaffable with lively minerals, nice but somewhat subdued plum and prune fruit and sufficient grip; with a natural cork or screwcap, I would give another year or so for opening up; barely 15/20.

His 2007 Morgon under natural cork, on which I will post shortly, was aromatically much more lively. Different handling of the bottles may have led to more or less maturity. I'll leave my last a few more months before having another look.
Tim York