The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

What's the ideal champagne glass?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

What's the ideal champagne glass?

by Jenise » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:55 pm

It's not those flat little things they used in the old days and still do at wedding receptions that spill half your pour on somebody else's shoe. Most seem to agree the best shape is the flute.

But I have to admit that when I find myself drinking really good champagne I am wishing for a slightly wider/fuller glass. Not a lot wider, mind you, but I often think that most flutes don't do enough to enhance the nose. Here, we use a combination of Spieglaus and Rosenthals for everyday occasions, and for celebrations, we turn to Waterford. Our Waterford collection isn't one pattern but a bunch of one-offs of 8 or 12 patterns--everybody remembers their glass without those annoying charms, and if one gets broken I don't have to worry about replacing it. But of those, one is shorter and just a bit wider, called Kildare I think, and invariably I reach for that one if I'm in a position to choose my glass. Never thought about why until last night, when I realized it's because I perceive the wine to taste better in that slightly wider bowl.

Am I alone? What do others think is the perfect glass for good bubbles?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: What's the ideal champagne glass?

by Saina » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:59 pm

Jenise wrote:But I have to admit that when I find myself drinking really good champagne I am wishing for a slightly wider/fuller glass. Not a lot wider, mind you, but I often think that most flutes don't do enough to enhance the nose. [...] What do others think is the perfect glass for good bubbles?

Since some Champagne producer (I think it might have been Deutz, but I really can't remember any more) told me at the annual wine fair here that he finds the Riedel Tempranillo glass ideal because it gives enough space for aromas as well. I tried it, fell in love, and have never touched my flutes (as in glasses, I do play the instrument still, lol!) again.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:03 pm

I like a tulip shape which is usually slightly wider at the rim than a flute. The flutes do direct the bubbles upward in a narrow stream but probably don't enhance the nose as much.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:25 pm

This is my favorite Champagne glass:
http://www.winemonger.com/catalog/produ ... ts_id=1326

Unfortunately, the price is above what I can afford for a set (never buy a set where 6 glasses cost more than any bottle of that type of wine you've ever purchased). But as soon as I hit the lottery..

Both flutes and decent white stems offer advantages, I think this has strengths of both. As I only have one, I tend to use flutes most, though if someone brings a bigger bubbly like a Krug I might pull out the Chardonnay stems.
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:35 pm

the basic riedel champagne is very fine. i got 8 of them on a deep close out at a national chain - like $4/each. i love them becuase they do have a bigger bowl but not huge. i have others; but i use these.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Lee Short

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:08 pm

WA USA

by Lee Short » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:20 pm

This style of the Overture Champagne.
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:37 am

I like flutes for drinking Champagne, but we use white wine glasses for tasting Champagne.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:26 am

The tale that the coupe glass is modelled after Marie Antoinette's breasts is apocryphal, but even without that pleasant association, they suck as Champers glasses and I thinhk all would agree that something a tad flutier works better.

I don't think that the modern option of Madonna's bras (those things could hurt someone!) is any better than Marie's, but I have found that a tallish white wine glass, broader than a flute shape can work quite well even though they aren't as tall, so you don't get to watch the bubbles as long, if that is your thing.
no avatar
User

Michael Pronay

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon May 01, 2006 12:47 pm

Vienna, Austria

by Michael Pronay » Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:27 am

Sorry, I am a little late to chime in, but I heavily advocate decent wine glasses for bubbly, not flutes, and I have a few good reasons to do so ... :D

First, flutes have a raison d'être of historic relevance only. Only well in the 19th century the technique of disgorging was invented. Before, to get rid of the sediment, champagne was decanted, often more than once. But with this technique there was always some lee sediment left in the wine. That's why very tall glasses with straight narrow sides were invented, to let the sediment precipitate as fast as possible: the original flutes. With the invention of riddling and disgorgment technique, no more need for a flute.

Second, good sparklers and champagnes are good wines, they deserve a decent wine glass, just like any other good wine.

Third, I can hear the argument about the flutes preserving bubbles better than a wine glass. Then I would reply: Point taken — but then, why do I never get Perrier in flutes? :twisted:

Thank you for listening.
Ceterum censeo corticem esse delendam
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:47 am

That's interesting, Michael.

Would you serve, as I suggested, in a white wine glass that is broader than a flute, or do you have an ideal Champagne glass in mind.
no avatar
User

Michael Pronay

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon May 01, 2006 12:47 pm

Vienna, Austria

by Michael Pronay » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:30 am

Bill,

what I have in mind (and what I use for 99% of the wines I drink) is something close to the Riedel Riesling Grand Cru / Chianti Classico shape; Riedel Chardonnay (slightly shorter than the Chianti type) does a very good job, too.
Ceterum censeo corticem esse delendam
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:09 am

It really depends on the bubbly that we are drinking. If it is a Champagne I prefer either a white wine glass, or a tulip style flute. If it's a Prosecco, or Cava I prefer a standard flute. The bubbles from many Champagnes are so intense that they actually choke me a bit when I drink them from a standard flute.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Alan Gardner

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:41 pm

Toronto

by Alan Gardner » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:11 am

Generally agree that a tulip-shape is the best (sort of slightly squatter than a traditional flute) but nobody has really commented on the bubbles. Surely the 'controlled' release is (or should be) a highly desirable feature (otherwise why not just drink a 'regular' wine?).
And that's where the 'better' flutes win out (for me). I now ALWAYS use a Riedel because it releases a beautifully curving stream of tiny bubbles (OK they're larger in the champagne substitutes such as Cava).
I recall reading somewhere that Riedel actually uses a 'scratch' at the base of the bowl to provide a source point for the bubbles - and I've yet to find a more attractive bubble stream.
So unless someone wants to use their diamond to scratch the bowl of a wider glass, I'll stick with the flute - appearance DOES also matter and the 'perfect' bubble release enhances the experience.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:15 pm

I mentioned the stream of bubbles in the third posting on this thread but do prefer a tulip shape to a more narrow flute rim.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:29 pm

Liz's folks are in town for one week and yesterday was their 55th wedding anniversary. I'm opening a sparkler every night of their visit. It's been a chance to try different glasses from traditional to less so. So far the tulip shape is my winner but there are still three bottles to go. My in-laws, so far, like the very traditional bowls. By the way, I'm serving Proseccos, Cavas and champs and a CA sparkler or two.
no avatar
User

Marlene R

Rank

Just got here

Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:40 pm

by Marlene R » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:12 pm

I have good Champagne flutes that I use for my guests, but I use
a 21- ounce regular wine glass for all my sparkling wines/Champagnes.

People are often surprised to see me drinking out of a regular glass, but
(as a former sommelier who has tried out every glass recommended for sparklers)
regular, large wine glasses are best for me.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:34 pm

I used to swear by flutes, but I now prefer either my Riedel Zin/Chianti/Riesling glass or Tempranillo glass.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:44 am

Dale Williams wrote:This is my favorite Champagne glass:
http://www.winemonger.com/catalog/produ ... ts_id=1326

Unfortunately, the price is above what I can afford for a set (never buy a set where 6 glasses cost more than any bottle of that type of wine you've ever purchased). But as soon as I hit the lottery..

They're offering a 20% discount today and tomorrow as an Inaugural Special. Still quite expensive, but great glasses. If I hadn't spent some bucks on some sale '05 Rossignol-Trapet yesterday I'd bite.

No affiliation except as a satisfied customer