The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Five Sort of Uncommon Grapes from Various Places

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

WTN: Five Sort of Uncommon Grapes from Various Places

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:51 am

Attended a Washington Wine and Cheese Seminar tasting last night, theme title "Unusual Grape Varieties".

2008 Cederberg Bukettraube: On the pale lemon side w/ some green hints. The nose was very reminiscent of grassy SB to me. The palate was citrusy and crisp, yet slightly off-dry. Seems like it would go nicely with curry.

2007 Argiolas Selegas Nuragus di Cagliari (Sardenia): None of us were overly impressed. Aromatics were unremarkable, and it tasted like a mediocre pinot grigio. Got a little better once it warmed up some, but not anything I would seek out.

2006 Peique Tinto Mencia: The woman hosting this time said that this was unoaked, but I don't believe it. Wood, vanilla and toast aromas were immediate and aggressive, but the palate following was flabby and boring. The bottle didn't mention anything about oak, but I'm guessing chips.

2006 Domaine des Terrisses, Gaillac Rouge (blend of Duras and Braucol fer Servadou): Pepper. Pepper. Pepper. Medium-full body. It was a pretty one-dimensional wine, but it was quirky enough in its overwhelming peppery character that I actually liked it. So did everyone else. . Figured it would go nicely with beef stew.

2005 Duca SanFelice Ciro Riserva, Calabria (Gaglioppo). Barnyard right out of the gate, with a little sulfur that didn't dissipate with time like I thought it might. I like barnyard though, so I enjoyed this, as did the others at my table.

We also had two cheeses, one of which was a smokey, earthy, salty blue called Forme d'Ambert from Auvergne. It was absolutely sublime, by far the best blue (or perhaps cheese period) that I've ever tasted. I'll be trekking over to Calvert Woodley sometime this week to pick up a disc.
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt