The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Carillon, Gruaud Larose, Brocard, Gaso, Dugat-Py

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Carillon, Gruaud Larose, Brocard, Gaso, Dugat-Py

by Jenise » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:15 pm

Monday night at Le Vol au Vent with Rob and Linda:

2000 Louis Carillon Montrachet
Dark gold, mature pear and citrus with lots of stones and superb richess. Acidity's relatively low but not deficient--if anything, at this age it adds to the wine's elegance. Probably at peak, but drinking beautifully right now. What a pleasure!

1986 Gruaud Larose
Very dusty nose on black fruit, resolved tannins. Drinks fine, but based on past bottles it's a bit dry where there should be some red fruit and tea flavors to balance the black fruit and overall I'm disappointed in my bottle.

Sunday night at Le Vol au Vent with Gary and Dorothy:

2007 Jean-Marc Brocard Chablis Sainte Claire
Pale yellow/green with green apples, flint and crushed oyster shells. Balanced and refreshing, good entry level chablis.

2000 Bernard Dugat-Py Bourgogne
Gorgeous nose that could be no other than Burgundy. Simpler on the palate with bright strawberry and sour cherry fruit. Not a lot of spice but some, and the oak has integrated better than I thought it would several years ago so all in all I'm pleased with this bottle. It won't get any better though.

2001 San Rustico Amarone della Valpolicella Classico Vigneti del Gaso
Gary has fallen in love with amarone in general and Gaso in particular, and every time I turn around he's yanking out another bottle--this man is never going to find out how good aged Amarone can be. Bright and balanced berry fruit, the usual raisins, and a touch of maple on the finish. Very very nice. That said, I drink Amarone all too rarely, especially this young, so I don't really have a good reference point at all but this one seems rather modern and squeaky clean to me and delivers none of the rusticity I think should be there even in a relative baby. Or maybe that's just the lingering effect of the rocks in my head from the Chablis. :) If anyone's familiar, I would appreciate some help getting the Gaso style in perspective.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov