The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Isole e Olena, Benenti & Colosi (Italians)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

WTN: Isole e Olena, Benenti & Colosi (Italians)

by Ian Sutton » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:56 pm

All three (together with the Borgogno listed in the Piemonte wine focus and a Sergio Alighieri Ripasso I have no notes on) consumed at a very good, but small offline just south of Norwich.

1988 Isole e Olena Cepparello Toscana IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Toscana IGT (12/7/2008)
No detailed notes, as drunk at the dining table.

...However this was a vibrantly youthful red colour, showing little age at the rim. Cherry scented nose which continued onto a palate showing fantastic depth and with a charming fennel accent. Long finish and much better than the 93s we've drunk from the same auction lot.

Absolutely on form and revised drinking window to reflect that this should hold for a few years yet... but really no excuse to hold onto them when drinking as well as this.

2002 Benanti Etna Pietramarina Superiore - Italy, Sicily, Etna DOC (12/7/2008)
Bright and clear straw/lemon colour with a mineral and lightly herbal nose, the fruit sitting in the background. The herbal minerality comes through again on the palate and there's some nicely bracing acidity and good length. Show's some similarity to good chablis and should age well. The grape was one that I'd never heard of and can't recall the name of

2005 Colosi Malvasia delle Lipari - Italy, Sicily, Malvasia delle Lipari (12/7/2008)
Can't recall the exact vintage - IIRC it was this or the 2006. Also only a brief note as no notes taken at the table.

Very vibrant floral/grapey nose and not excessive sweetness. Interesting wine and handy both with desserts and with coffee afterwards.

regards

Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

Re: WTN: Isole e Olena, Benenti & Colosi (Italians)

by Oliver McCrum » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:40 pm

Ian,

Nice wines. I believe the Pietramarina is all or mostly Carricante.
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:55 pm

Oliver
Yes! That's the grape name and Rob said it was as the Italians would say "in purezza" (i.e. 100%).
regards
Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

by Anders Källberg » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:37 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:1988 Isole e Olena Cepparello Toscana IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Toscana IGT (12/7/2008)
No detailed notes, as drunk at the dining table.

...However this was a vibrantly youthful red colour, showing little age at the rim. Cherry scented nose which continued onto a palate showing fantastic depth and with a charming fennel accent. Long finish and much better than the 93s we've drunk from the same auction lot.

Ian, we had a vertical of Cepparello a few weeks ago. The 1995 was a clear winner of the Cepparello, but in fact 1994 Flaccianello beat them all. I agree about the 1993. I find it rather lacking charm and being rather coarse. Holding well, but I doubt it will become much better. A funny thing at the tasting was that we had two bottles of 1995, one bought at the monopoly stores here in Sweden and the other from an auction in Amsterdam. One of them was a vino da Tavola and the other an IGT!
Cheers,
Anders
PS, I've had the Benanti. Interesting, but hardly worth the high price it fetches here, about 35 Euros. I find the red ones better, for instance the Lamorèmio and the Nerello Mascalese.
Last edited by Anders Källberg on Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

by Oliver McCrum » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:11 pm

I had a ten-year-old Pietramarina once that was very fresh, and the white I import from Biondi would appear to have the structure to do the same. Etna is an exciting appellation, certainly my favorite in Sicily.
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines