The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1998 Alban Reva Syrah

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

WTN: 1998 Alban Reva Syrah

by Redwinger » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:06 am

1998 Alban Reva Syrah

Color is almost black despite being 10 years old. Very full and dense in the mouth. Blue/black fruits and some hint of meat/bacon are overwhelmed by tar/burnt rubber/reductive features which simply would not blow off despite double decanting and more than 5 hours of air.

Alban garners big score in some quarters of the wine world, but it is a style that has no place at my table.

'Winger
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

Re: WTN: 1998 Alban Reva Syrah

by Mark Lipton » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:42 pm

Redwinger wrote:1998 Alban Reva Syrah

Color is almost black despite being 10 years old. Very full and dense in the mouth. Blue/black fruits and some hint of meat/bacon are overwhelmed by tar/burnt rubber/reductive features which simply would not blow off despite double decanting and more than 5 hours of air.

That's too bad, Bill. I had the '96 edition of Reva earlier this year in Toledo, and it was quite drinkable and not out of place amongst all the Cornas. I have little experience with Alban's Syrahs, so can't tell you how typical this is, but I hear ya about the points.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Re: WTN: 1998 Alban Reva Syrah

by Redwinger » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:01 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:
Redwinger wrote:1998 Alban Reva Syrah

That's too bad, Bill. I had the '96 edition of Reva earlier this year in Toledo, and it was quite drinkable and not out of place amongst all the Cornas. I have little experience with Alban's Syrahs, so can't tell you how typical this is, but I hear ya about the points.

Mark Lipton

Mark-
Well, I assure you this was no Cornas taste-alike even for the palate impaired such as myself.
BTW, for a brief moment, I thought the Boiler might have themselve a basketball team this year. :wink:
Wm.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!