The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTNs: Rieslings, Rutherglen Muscats, sparkling Shiraz, reds

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ben Rotter

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:59 pm

Sydney, Australia (currently)

WTNs: Rieslings, Rutherglen Muscats, sparkling Shiraz, reds

by Ben Rotter » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:10 pm

RIESLINGS

Delatite Riesling, Mansfield, VIC 2005 A$15
Waxed apple, quince, some petrol, some honey, slatey, and all fantastically bound up together and integrated with all components blended perfectly together. A beautifully integrated palate where the freshness (acidity) feels like a true component of the palate rather than an addition, a disciplined chalky austerity that brings vitality, freshly squeezed lime juice, and a fresh lingering finish.
Delatite’s Riesling has become a favourite Aussie Riesling for me - I’d highly recommend it if you like the Aussie style of Riesling. Very good VFM too.

Alkoomi Riesling, Frankland River, WA 2007 A$18
Lemony, feels industrial to me, lifted, pristine. The palate has a strange acidity that feels unnatural/awkward, and an unpleasant finish. Very disappointing, and not at all up to the standard of the 2006 – which I found a very nice wine.
Highlights how significant vintage variation can be in Australia!

Leo Buring Eden Valley Riesling 2004 A$25
Pristine, nectarine, some flint, no petrol. The palate is fresh and round in the mouth, a slight touch of r.s., but the palate fades to a kind diluteness in the mid-back palate which lacks flavour, stewed apple finish but the finish is somehow lacking. It proved a difficult wine to match with food too.
Not what I look for in Riesling and quite disappointing.

Tim Adams Riesling Clare 2003 A$24
Nose showing lime juice, cold river stones, some petrol, and belnded florals like the smell of a summer meadow. A minerally palate that's got a nice balance between roundness and tightness.
Great traditional styled Aussie Riesling.

RUTHERGLEN MUSCATS

Morris Rutherglen Muscat NV A$14/500ml
A more complex nose (“all your Christmases in one”) with lifted citrus peel and floral notes as well as the darker notes like dates. The palate is the most rich and viscous (lowest acidity) of the three. It’s incredibly smooth with flavours of saltana flavours. Fantastically complex. My fav of the three.

Stanton & Killeen Rutherglen Muscat Rutherglen NV A$19/500ml
Darkest flavours of the three with treacle, mature Christmas cake and old tea chest, yet with some banana/guava kind of lift. The palate has dried fig, great smoothness, and quite refreshing acidity relative to the other two. Second favourite at the time for me, though if in the mood for the darker flavours then this may be more to my/your tastes.

Campbells Liquer Muscat NV A$23/500ml
More of a zesty citrus nose, with saltana. The palate is fresh in a more zesty way, and is richly sweet and smooth, yet manages to remain light at the same time. Compared to the other two it’s not as well integrated, with more obvious sugar and acid showing. Ironically the most expensive of the three too.

SPARKLING SHIRAZ

Seppelt Original Sparkling Shiraz Great Western 2005 A$22
Dom. Chandon Pinot Shiraz Coldstream NV A$24
Both enjoyable sparkling reds, even if too fizzy for my tastes. The Seppelt is widely considered the classic cheap Aussie Sparkling Shiraz. It has a lovely core of dark fruit to it, but remains a bit simple. The Chandon is dominated by the Pinot character - it has less dark fruit and relatively strong leather character, and more complexity. Both are light and refreshing. The Seppelt fits the more traditional mould and is perhaps more suitable as a quick sipper. The Chadon doesn’t fit the traditional mould but retains more interest with continued drinking.

REDS

Stefano Lubiana Pinot Noir, Southern TAS 2006 A$47
Autumn hedgerow / wet leaves, very plummy, a touch mushroom compost but not enough for me, a touch of spice (like clove without the menthol aspect), subtle well integrated oak, a bit volatile. The palate feels lightish (it’s actually 13.5% abv), flavours of sweet ripe plum with some cherry, sleek tannins that are a tad high for the palate to be able to stand up to them, good well balanced acidity, reasonably elegant, quite silky until the chalky grained tannins hit in the back palate. The finish is just the tannins… and then that’s it, the end.
A softer/gentler styled New World Pinot. It needs a better exit for me, and more multidimensional fruit, and something animally/earthy/funky would help. Nevertheless, it’s easy to drink.

Bay of Fires Pinot Noir, 2007, Tasmania
Murdoch James Blue Rock Pinot Noir 2006, Marlborough

The Bay of Fires has more of a kind of sappy stem flavour but has more intensity. It seemed a touch musky (almost like deer skin) in its reductive funk on first pouring, but with more air it became increasingly like very confected cherry. Both of these wines have some New Worldly flavoured autumnal flavours but the fruit is somehow dull and there’s a distasteful sappy undergrowth character to them too (and I normally love autumnal characters). The palates seem structured around alcohol and glycerine and not much else. Disappointing, especially for the A$40 and A$50, respectively. The Kooyong Pinot Noir is far better than either of these IMO.

Mitchell Sevenhill Vineyard Cab Sauv 2003, Clare Valley A$20
A vibrant nose of fresh blackcurrant bush berries, earth and mint, a very light touch of smoke underneath, and a musky nose that’s almost shitty. Juicy medium bodied palate of funky cassis and with grainy tannins and a reasonable finish.

Hewitson Ned & Henry Shiraz Barossa 2006 A$21
Vibrant fruit - ripe sweet & sour plum, mulberry, vanilla pod without the vanillin, some spice - nutmeg/savoury/not pepper. Well balanced flavours, a smooth and juicy palate.
A “shiny/bright” enjoyable modern style Shiraz.

Two Hands Angel’s Share Shiraz McLaren Vale 2007 A$23
A dark staining purple. Ripe fleshy plum and spice on the nose. A smooth juicy palate of sweet-ripe boysenberry (like confectionary but not confected), sweet plum, toasty bark-like wood that's quite noticeable but still sits behind the fruit, and moderate silty tannins.
It’s a biggish ultra ripe juicy and voluptuous style of Shiraz.
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

Re: WTNs: Rieslings, Rutherglen Muscats, sparkling Shiraz, reds

by Salil » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:36 pm

Thanks for the rec. on Delatite - need to make a note of that one, as I love those really bright, petrol-and-limey Aussie Rieslings (and like most of the whites I've had from Vic and WA so far).

Interesting you recommend the Kooyong PN over the Tassie and Marlborough ones. I've tried other vintages (I think 05s and an 04) of Bay of Fires and Lubiana when I was in Tasmania a couple of years ago, and quite enjoyed them - but found one bottle of Kooyong Estate quite painful to drink some time ago with no balance and serious VA issues. Haven't tried any from them since, perhaps I need to give them another shot.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:15 am

A good insight into some classic Aussie wine styles (that maybe don't get the press of Barossa/Mclaren Vale Shiraz).

A huge fan of the Delatite rieslings - though I've not tasted them since winemaker daughter Ros Ritchie left the family winery. Not regularly distributed to UK AFAIK. Shame about the Alkoomi - typically a fairly priced range of good wines and Merv is a real gent too.

regards

Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:01 pm

Alkoomi, wonder what happened there? All reports on AusForum have been very complimentary.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:01 pm

I've really enjoyed the few Rutherglen Muscats that I have seen here - Stanton & Killeen was one. I think I tasted one from S&K that was also a more expensive cuvée (do they make one, or do I misremember?). How is life otherwise in Aus?

-O
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:11 pm

Sudbury, MA

by Michael Malinoski » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:45 pm

Otto,

I have not had a Stanton & Kileen since the summer of '05. It was called "Premium". I have also read reference to one called "Grand". I am not sure if these really are meaningful distinctions or not, however.

NV Stanton & Killeen Muscat Premium Rutherglen. Tawny brown colored, with caramel and crushed red berries on the nose. Toffee-flavored with some mocha and dried berries in the mouth. Nicely-textured and less sweet than some. Good length but a bit narrow on the finish. Well-paired with a chocolate fudge pie.

Michael
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:35 am

Whoops, found the `07 Alkoomi today. Now in a quandry!
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:10 am

Re the Rutherglen Muscat Classifications, please find below the official categories for the winestyle. N.B. This system applies to the other great fortified sticky of the region, Tokay.

Grape variety
There are about 200 Muscat varieties, but only one is used to make Rutherglen Muscat – the high quality Muscat a petit grains Rouge, or Brown Muscat as it is known locally.

Wine Styles
Rutherglen Muscats are classified under four descriptions that mark a progression in richness, complexity and intensity of flavour. Although age is only one factor in determining a wine's classification, it does provide some clue, especially for the Grand and Rare wines.

Rutherglen Muscat – is the foundation of the style; displaying the fresh raisin aromas, rich fruit, clean spirit and great length of flavour on the palate which are the mark of all the Muscats of Rutherglen. Average age 2-5 years. Residual sweetness 180-240 grams per litre.

Classic Rutherglen Muscat – displays a greater level of richness and complexity, produced through the blending of selected parcels of wine, often matured in various sizes of oak cask to impart the distinctive dry ‘rancio’ characters produced from maturation in seasoned wood. Average age 5-10 years. Residual sweetness 200-280 grams per litre.

Grand Rutherglen Muscat – takes the flavour of Rutherglen Muscat to a still higher plane of development, displaying a new level of intensity, depth and concentration of flavour, mature rancio characters, and a complexity which imparts layers of texture and flavour. Average age 10-15 years. Residual sweetness 270-400 grams per litre.

Rare Rutherglen Muscat – is rare by name and by nature. These are the pinnacle Rutherglen Muscats – fully developed and displaying the extraordinary qualities that result from the blending of selected parcels of only the very richest, and most complete wines in the cellar. Rare Rutherglen Muscats are only bottled in tiny quantities each year, but for those privileged to taste them, these are wines of breathtaking complexity, texture and depth of flavour. Minimum age 20+ years. Residual sweetness 270-400 grams per litre.

The house styles of Rutherglen Muscat reflects each winery's unique interpretation of the variety.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:26 am

David Lole wrote:N.B. This system applies to the other great fortified sticky of the region, Tokay.
[/i]

Soon to be known as (shudders as he says it) "Topaque" (IIRC)

Makes me think of really cheap imitation jewelery
:roll:

regards

Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:47 am

Ian Sutton wrote:
David Lole wrote:N.B. This system applies to the other great fortified sticky of the region, Tokay.

Soon to be known as (shudders as he says it) "Topaque" (IIRC)

Makes me think of really cheap imitation jewelery
:roll:

regards

Ian

Yes, an absolute shocker, Ian. Cringing.
Cheers,

David