The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2001 Leroy Bourgogne

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David Z

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:06 pm

WTN: 2001 Leroy Bourgogne

by David Z » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:55 am

I always thought the Maison Leroy Bourgogne was better than people gave it credit for. They fail, I think, by dint of comparison: in the minds the people who were comparing them to the domaine wines, and in the minds of people who see the name and expect a $30 bottle of Bourgogne to be brilliant.

This isn't brilliant, not by a long shot. But it's among the best Bourgognes I've ever had and an excellent QPR at ~$30 (now that Lafarge is up around $30 for his Bourgogne and Angerville is at $60!). Light copper color, very clear, an intense nose of fresh sugared strawberries (very, very intense strawberries...something I've never encountered before), light spice, and wet earth. It's not as good on the tongue- tart cherry, a little spice, slightly short- but the tannins are extra-silky and the alcohol is nice and low. But this is old bourgogne, and that sort of thinness is pretty much par for the course.

Great food wine- went fantastically, believe it or not, with a good homemade marinara sauce (the acidity and tart cherry flavors are vaguely Sangiovese-esque)

I like that this isn't dark and extracted (I'm looking at you, Groffier and Arnoux 2005 Bourgognes), I like that its intensely fruity without picking up cola flavors (I'm looking at you, California). I like that it's intense but not weighty, and silky without being mouth-coating.

It was very nice wine, and lasted 3 days with one of those inert gas canisters, with few ill effects other than a whiff of VA on day 3.
no avatar
User

Dan Donahue

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:02 pm

IL

Re: WTN: 2001 Leroy Bourgogne

by Dan Donahue » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:07 pm

I haven't seen these yet, but I'm sure enjoying the '99s at $18 per. Thank you for the heads up.
Je ne peux pas le faire