The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: '86 Meyney, little engine that could

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: '86 Meyney, little engine that could

by Dale Williams » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:51 am

I was pretty exhausted when I got home Friday, but I perked up at the word "ribeye." Betsy served the meat over a watercress/parsley salad , with a side of roasted vegetables (beets, sweet potato, fennel and garlic). I opened the 1986 Ch. Meyney. Tannins have mostly integrated, though you can still get a feel on palate. Nose of cedar and a little forest floor, in the mouth clean red and black currant fruit and noticable acidity (this is more apparent earlier, as it warms towards room temp in decanter it gets rounder). Nice classic northern Medoc that stands up well to the meat; decent length, some minerally/graphite notes after a while. This has always been nose to nose with the '89 as my favorite Meyney, and I enjoy this a lot for the level. It's never going to be especially charming (hey, it's St Estephe), but for a hardy workhorse of a Bordeaux I'm very pleased. No need to wait, but I feel better safe drinking this over next 5-7 years. B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

Re: WTN: '86 Meyney, little engine that could

by Salil » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:03 pm

Sounds very nice, Dale. From reading some notes on Meyney I get the impression that it's a reasonably good value (at least in Bdx) that can really age nicely. I think I need to find some...
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:20 pm

Must be good. I have an uncle by marriage who is still kicking around in his '90s. Meyney is the wine he drinks, and he dinks it often. We have enjoyed many ourselves over the years.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:14 pm

Got three of them! The last one we opened, about four years ago, had a beautifully expressive nose but lasted on the palate about 4 minutes before going utterly to sleep. Was thinking after tasting the 86 Lagune yesterday that it's time to revisit these. Will do so soon.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Tom V

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:33 pm

nyc

by Tom V » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:04 pm

Wow am I happy to see these notes! I have a case of the '86 Meyney that has been perfectly stored since I purchased it about 15 years ago. Looking at the notes on Cellar Tracker I figured I'd missed the boat! Gotta pull this case out right away and start drinking these! :D