The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTNs: 05 Prieur Beaune and 05 Vieux Telegraphe La Crau

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

WTNs: 05 Prieur Beaune and 05 Vieux Telegraphe La Crau

by Oswaldo Costa » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:47 am

Landmarc, in Tribeca, has an unusually good selection of half bottles, so that's where my nine year old daughter went to dinner last night with her closest friend and her little sister. Luckily, their parents are the best, so my ex and I had a great time while the three girls retreated into a world of pasta & juice and collective forays to the bathroom whenever any one of them had to go. Unfortunately, most vintages on the wine list were quite recent, so I had to hope that the stuffing would outweigh the prematurity.

2005 Jacques Prieur Beaune Champs-Pimont 1er Cru
Prieur is one of those venerable Burgundy names I had yet to try, so I was excited to see this on the list, and not unreasonably priced either. Delicate aromas of violets and sweet cherry, high toned and subtle at the same time. Lovely mouthfeel, perfect acid/sweet balance, classy and surprisingly accessible. One to seek out.

2005 Domaine du Vieux Telegraphe Chateauneuf-du-Pape La Crau 14.5%
For contrast, I expected this to be burly, and was not disappointed. Leather, spice and dark berry aromas, searing acidity, grippy tannins, very alcoholic and spicy. A powerhouse wine of obvious quality, but several years away from a satisfying integration between the parts.

The only disappointment of the night was my hanger steak, that looked like a policeman's baton and was overcooked. But I was too hungry and having too good a time to send it back.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

R Cabrera

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:14 pm

NYC

Re: WTNs: 05 Prieur Beaune and 05 Vieux Telegraphe La Crau

by R Cabrera » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:55 am

Oswaldo,

It’s been a while since we’ve dined at Landmarc in Tribeca. Also used to enjoy our times spent there.
I also used to remember the restaurant as having some of the best wine pricing on good selections, locally. Is that still the case?

BTW, thanks for the note on the 2005 VT La Crau. I have a few stashed away.

Ramon
Ramon Cabrera
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

Re: WTNs: 05 Prieur Beaune and 05 Vieux Telegraphe La Crau

by Oswaldo Costa » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:02 am

R Cabrera wrote:so I also used to remember the restaurant as having some of the best wine pricing on good selections, locally. Is that still the case?

Hi, Ramon, good to hear from you, yes, the pricing is still quite attractive. Looked to me like a little under twice retail. After posting, I used the search engine for other notes and found that the La Crau was WS's no. 5 wine of 2008...
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.