The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: red and white basic Bourgognes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: red and white basic Bourgognes

by Dale Williams » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:13 pm

I worked late Wednesday, but Betsy had a rehearsal that went even later, so dinner was up to me. I did a whole duck, using a Bittman method of steaming and then roasting, worked well. With carrots braised in butter and Sauternes, leftover brown rice, and wailted arugula. Duck wine was the 2005 Lafarge Bourgogne. What a satisfying wine for the level. Medium bodied, ripe but persistent tannins, balanced acidity, good length. Earth and black cherries, a hint of sandalwood, long and satisfying. Shoulda bought more. B+/A-

Last night took Betsy to dinner at One in Irvington for her birthday. I was so tired I think my conversation faltered, but we had a good time anyway. The appetizers were just great - her oysters tempura were nestled back in the shell on a bed of sesame seaweed salad, the shells in a bed of seafoam (an intensely salty meringue, fun touch). My crab fritters were on a jicama apple slaw, with three dipping sauces. All very tasty. My cod was roasted and served with salsify and a veal/bacon sauce (hey, even when I order seafood I like red meat!); Betsy had a very good striped bass. The only issue with the meal was the garlicky heirloom beans with her bass were tasty, but maybe needed a bit more of a soak. Oh yeah, the wine. I had thought about BYO, but didn't,. and ordered the 2005 Patrick Javillier "Cuvée des Forgets" Bourgogne Blanc. Some toasty oak notes, lemon and winesap apples. With time (and as the too cold bottle warmed, I had to rescue from ice bucket) so honeysuckle and butterscotch. Ripe vntage shows, but this does have some acidity. I'd vote for a tad less oak and a tad more acidity, but still a pleasant Chardonnay. B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

Re: TN: red and white basic Bourgognes

by John F » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:04 am

Lafarge always delivers in my mind
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:00 am

John F wrote:Lafarge always delivers in my mind

But not in your palate?

I know how that feels. Can be frustrating.
no avatar
User

Nigel Groundwater

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:08 pm

London, UK

by Nigel Groundwater » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:01 am

Dale, thanks for the TNs. Your 2005 Forgets description is immediately recognisable.

I don't know the Lafarge but the Javillier Forgets is a regular 'case' buy - joined in 2006 by the Cuvee Oligocene.

I think of it as a mini-Meursault with all that mini implies - and yet a satisfying, tasty, good value Bourgogne.