The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN - Pinot Noir Around the World

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

WTN - Pinot Noir Around the World

by Ryan M » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:37 pm

Link to my notes in Rogov's Place:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=20566
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

Re: WTN - Pinot Noir Around the World

by Oswaldo Costa » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:06 am

Very nice notes and a thoughtfully designed tasting that doesn't break the bank. Very useful.

I'm putting together something similar for a few years down the road, but trying to stick to 2006 (of course, in the southern hemisphere that's six months older).

I've had mostly disappointments with Chilean pinots. One that survived, though, was the Cono Sur Reserva, which is their fourth (!) cuvee (below the Ocio, 20 Barrels and Vision), and might have held its own, in terms of cost/benefit, in the company you assembled. I also liked the Errazuriz Wild Ferment.

I would expect the French to routinely underwhelm in terms of power but excel in terms of subtlety, and all in all your tasting seems to bear this out, no?
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:11 am

Oswaldo Costa wrote:I would expect the French to routinely underwhelm in terms of power but excel in terms of subtlety, and all in all your tasting seems to bear this out, no?

Definitely. The New Worlds excelled because they had such nice fruit, but none of them were as interesting as the Burgs (except possibly the Marlborough). I'd take more of the two Burgs before any of the others (but once again, that Marlborough was really something).

Funny you should mention the Cono Sur - I actually briefly considered it, but since I had room in the budget for something a bit nicer, I went with the EQ - also because the salesman recommended the EQ over the Cono Sur. Oh well - will try it at some point.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Alejandro Audisio

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:03 am

Buenos Aires, Argentina

by Alejandro Audisio » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:40 am

For those interested in trying Argentine Pinot Noir.... here are a few I dare suggest people be on the lookout for:

Rutini Coleccion Pinot Noir (Mendoza)
MariFlor Pinot Noir (Mendoza)
Septima Noche Pinot Noir (Mendoza)
Ocio Pinot Noir Crianza (Patagonia)
Chacra Barda (Patagonia)
Chacra Treinta y Dos (Patagonia)
Chacra Cincuenta y Cinco (Patagonia)
Alejandro Audisio - drink wines from the RIGHT side of the Andes!!!
ITB in Buenos Aires, Argentina
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:59 pm

Nice notes, Ryan.

I just had the Kim Crawford 2007 pinot this weekend and I agree it is a fine wine. Interesting you should mention the cranberry tastes. My original impression was juicy ripe tart cherries. However, when matched with a cranberry conserve the cranberry aspects of the wines were accentuated. I really enjoyed this pinot with pork loin and cranberry conserve.
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:21 am

Ryan, nice tasting. Have to comment, though, that the one Kim Crawford pinot I had by the glass in a Honolulu restaurant last April (simple, candied) doesn't prepare me to read that they're capable of making a product that would be anyone's best pinot ever. I'm sure yours was a different and better vintage, but all the same: haven't seen any evidence so far that they're capable of producing something that would compete on that level.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:46 am

Matetic features downtown. Store owner visited Chile earlier this year and was impressed with the operation. Wines are not cheap here in town however.
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:24 am

Jenise wrote:Ryan, nice tasting. Have to comment, though, that the one Kim Crawford pinot I had by the glass in a Honolulu restaurant last April (simple, candied) doesn't prepare me to read that they're capable of making a product that would be anyone's best pinot ever. I'm sure yours was a different and better vintage, but all the same: haven't seen any evidence so far that they're capable of producing something that would compete on that level.

Hello Jenise. If it didn't have the slightly earthy and vegetal undertones, it might have been just a juicy, fruit cocktail sort of wine. I would say that there wasn't any candied character to it. It was well liked by the group, but I can imagine (though not understand) that a few people here and there might not care for it.
Galileo Galilei

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:43 pm

Ryan Maderak wrote:
Jenise wrote:Ryan, nice tasting. Have to comment, though, that the one Kim Crawford pinot I had by the glass in a Honolulu restaurant last April (simple, candied) doesn't prepare me to read that they're capable of making a product that would be anyone's best pinot ever. I'm sure yours was a different and better vintage, but all the same: haven't seen any evidence so far that they're capable of producing something that would compete on that level.

Hello Jenise. If it didn't have the slightly earthy and vegetal undertones, it might have been just a juicy, fruit cocktail sort of wine. I would say that there wasn't any candied character to it. It was well liked by the group, but I can imagine (though not understand) that a few people here and there might not care for it.

Now I'll have to get a bottle and arbitrate... :P
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.