The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A night of Niederhäuser Hermannshöhle

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

WTN: A night of Niederhäuser Hermannshöhle

by Salil » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:19 pm

Keith Levenberg organised a dinner featuring wines from Niederhäuser Hermannshöhle at Trestle on Tenth restaurant in NY. The younger wines were outstanding, but it was eye-opening to see how poorly all the older bottles fared. The '94 Auslese in particular was undrinkable (a real shock as I had recently had its Auslese counterpart from Oberhäuser Brücke, which was just an absolutely stunning, ethereal wine), and the other old Donnhoffs just felt tired and over the hill.
Among the young wines, the Grosses Gewachs were stunning - by far the best expressions of dry Riesling I've ever tasted with the '07 in particular being absolutely stellar (if only more German trockens were like those, and not overly shrill, acidic and tart). The lineup of young Auslese was staggering. All superb wines that elicited a number of 'wow's around the table, with the '06 and '01 my two favourites of the night.

Großes Gewächs
Served with soup
  • 2007 Dönnhoff Niederhäuser Hermannshöhle Riesling Großes Gewächs - Germany, Nahe
    AP #30, 13.5% alcohol. This has an intoxicating nose dominated by a smoky and stony character with citrus fruits, honeydew melon, slate, hints of lychee and burned leaves underneath. Absolutely stunning on the palate, where it's crammed with stony, earthy mineral flavours to the point that this feels more like a solid than liquid. This has immense power and depth, yet is almost weightless in the mouth with incredible balance, precision and clarity of flavour, showing layers of citrus fruits, some pear and melon with some metal shavings and herbal notes at the back end. Finishes very long. Absolutely stunning, and this got even better with air, with the flavours becoming more seamless and the wine taking on a silky, almost glossy texture. (96 pts.)
  • 2006 Dönnhoff Niederhäuser Hermannshöhle Riesling Großes Gewächs - Germany, Nahe
    This has a surprisingly tropical character for a dry wine with lots of pineapple, flowers, melon, nectarine, smoke and stones on the nose. Almost crunchy on the palate with plenty of acidity and a dominant stony and saline mineral character with bright tropical fruit and citrus flavours underneath. An excellent wine, although this may have suffered a little in comparison to the spectacular 07 GG, feeling a little rougher in the mouth without the same sense of weightlessness and elegance. (92 pts.)
'07 Spätlese
Served with veal tongue and endive salad
  • 2007 Weingut Jakob Schneider Niederhäuser Hermannshöhle Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Nahe
    Spatlese, yeah right. This comes across as a full bodied Auslese with layers of sweet peaches, apples, pineapples and cherries dominating the flavour profile. Spices and floral elements emerge with a little air as the flavour elements become more seamless and this takes on a polished, smooth texture in the mouth. Bright acidity underneath keeps it light on its feet, and this finishes long leaving streaks of peaches and red apples in the back of the mouth. (93 pts.)
  • 2007 Dönnhoff Niederhäuser Hermannshöhle Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Nahe
    AP #08. Starts out closed, but subtle, layered aromas of red berries, minerals, flowers and fresh orchard fruits emerge with some air. Spectacular on the palate with incredible depth and complexity - this shows seamlessly woven layers of sweet white fruits, nectarine, cherries, red berries, spices, slate and some faintly honeyed notes in the back with a sense of real vibrancy, bright acidity and an incredibly long finish. Has an Alpine spring water clarity and purity to it, almost weightless and too easy to just gulp down. Delicious. (95 pts.)
Older Spätlese
Served with a chicken vol-au-vent
  • 1990 Dönnhoff Niederhäuser Hermannshöhle Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Nahe
    AP #015. Bright golden-orange colour with a great nose initially that combines petrol, smoke, spices, leafy elements, apples and some dried peach. The palate is nothing like the nose though - disappointingly simple and faint with some smoky apple and peach flavours and a short, drying finish. Seems to be long past its best, as this was fading with some air. Most of the pleasure in this came from the nose which was superb, but it was alarming to see this at this over-the-hill phase so soon. (83 pts.)
  • 1998 Dönnhoff Niederhäuser Hermannshöhle Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Nahe
    After a 10 minute struggle with the cork that involved extracting it in little crumbs from the bottle neck and then decanting - we found this was corked. Argh! NR (flawed)
  • 2002 Dönnhoff Niederhäuser Hermannshöhle Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Nahe
    Incredibly closed down at first. I let this sit in the glass for almost an hour and even then it seemed quite tightly wound with cherries, peach, aloe and smoky aromas slowly emerging. Much more expressive on the palate where there's lots of very youthful peach, cherry and apple flavours, some honey and spice suggesting a little botrytis and a subtle, understated slatey mineral character beneath. Seems to be holding a lot in reserve and gives the impression that it needs more time. (92 pts.)
Older Auslese
Served with striped bass, artichoke and pears
  • 2001 Dönnhoff Niederhäuser Hermannshöhle Riesling Auslese - Germany, Nahe
    AP #18. Still very youthful, yet there's incredible complexity already apparent. Shows seamlessly woven flavours of cherries, apples, peaches, pine cones, spices, earth, cinnamon and herbs - this is an amazing wine to sit down with and explore the many nuances and layers with tremendous acidity underneath and a very long finish. This may not have the size and richness of the younger Auslesen poured later, but the complexity, depth and purity of flavour is just mindblowing. Wow. (96 pts.)
  • 1994 Dönnhoff Niederhäuser Hermannshöhle Riesling Auslese - Germany, Nahe
    The nose was quite awful, reeking of mothballs, volatile acidity and esters. Didn't bear the slightest resemblance to a wine, more like a chemistry experiment gone wrong. Undrinkable. NR (flawed)
  • 1983 Dönnhoff Niederhäuser Hermannshöhle Riesling Auslese - Germany, Nahe
    Still alive, but just barely. The nose is pleasant showing honey, spices, minerals, pine cones, smoke and some faint citrus flavours. Dried lemon, apple, peach and smoky flavours follow on the palate, but show no intensity or depth and start to fade with air. Finishes tart and faintly sour. Tired and long past its best. (75 pts.)
Young Auslese
With a cheese plate
  • 2003 Dönnhoff Niederhäuser Hermannshöhle Riesling Auslese - Germany, Nahe
    Full bodied and crammed with rich tropical fruit flavours, honey and spices on the nose and palate. With time a savoury earthy, almost brothy element emerges amidst the dense sweet fruit. Very enjoyable, although this seemed to be lacking in acidity and precision compared to the other young Auslesen at the table. (91 pts.)
  • 2005 Dönnhoff Niederhäuser Hermannshöhle Riesling Auslese - Germany, Nahe
    Combines incredibly bright, sweet tropical and white fruit flavours with an intense slatey minerality and a sense of weightlessness in the mouth. Very layered and complex and seemed to be getting even better with air in the glass. Still very open right now, and absolutely delicious. (94 pts.)
Even younger Auslese
With orange-chocolate tart
  • 2006 Dönnhoff Niederhäuser Hermannshöhle Riesling Auslese - Germany, Nahe
    From magnum (thanks Robert!), and absolutely spectacular with soaring aromas of honey, flowers, red fruits, pineapple, spices and rocky minerals - I found the aromatic profile surprisingly similar to the 06 Dellchen Auslese. Each sip drenches the mouth in honeyed cherry, peach and pineapple flavours, with savoury nutty, earthy and stony mineral elements underneath. Finishes incredibly long. Very primary now but a real pleasure-bomb with incredible precision, elegance and depth. My favourite of the night, absolutely stunning. (97 pts.)
  • 2007 Dönnhoff Niederhäuser Hermannshöhle Riesling Auslese - Germany, Nahe
    Has an incredibly raw, fresh sensation to it with pure, ripe layers of fruit, juicy acidity and a crunchy minerality. Very primary, but really fun to drink right now - all sweet fruits and minerals and absolutely delicious. (94 pts.)
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: A night of Niederhäuser Hermannshöhle

by Rahsaan » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:59 pm

Did anyone have other experiences with the older bottles to know whether these were representative or not?
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:11 pm

Salil Benegal wrote:1983 Dönnhoff Niederhäuser Hermannshöhle Riesling Auslese - Germany, Nahe
Still alive, but just barely. The nose is pleasant showing honey, spices, minerals, pine cones, smoke and some faint citrus flavours. Dried lemon, apple, peach and smoky flavours follow on the palate, but show no intensity or depth and start to fade with air. Finishes tart and faintly sour. Tired and long past its best. (75 pts.)

Interesting to see how, though neither of you cared for it, your take and Keith Levenberg's cellartracker note contrast quite a bit. Were there any thoughts about why the older wines were showing so poorly?

And what focus I might add! Sounds like a delicious evening.
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

albany, ny

by Salil » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:40 pm

Rahsaan - nobody else had much experience with older Donnhoffs either, we were all equally surprised to see how poorly the old ones showed. There were a few around the table who pointed out that they'd had a lot of Spatlese/Auslese from other producers of similar or lesser pedigree in those same years (83/90/94) and older vintages that are drinking very well right now, so it was worrying to see how all the older bottles were faring. From what I understand, they were sourced from Dee Vine who normally have very good provenance on their old bottles.

Keith M: I think that between Keith Levenberg and I, one of us mixed up the 83 and 94 - we both agreed that of the old wines in the flight, one of them was dull and fading, and the other was a mess of VA. I had the chemical-mess down as the '94, Keith had that as the '83. Whatever it was - both wines were poor.
As for why the old wines showed like that - A few of us were wondering if Donnhoff just happened to get *much* better in recent years, or whether Hermannshohle Riesling just doesn't age that well. Hard to say without the reference points/experience (and maybe we'll only find out in several years' time when some of the recent Hermannshohle wines hit similar ages).
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:15 pm

Interesting tasting, thanks!
I bet Keith liked better overall than the Bordeaux we had Tues!
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

albany, ny

by Salil » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:42 pm

Let's see - overpriced Bdx with walls of tannin and extract against incredibly elegant, balanced whites we could have kept sipping all day? No contest. ;)
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:58 pm

Why can't we all just get along . . . ?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:00 pm

My experiences with older Donnhoff do not correlate at all. Let's realize that the Garagiste releases of older Germans are coming straight from the estates with essentially guaranteed provenance. I have recently (within the last year) had the '89 Donnhoff Hermannshohle Auslese (stunning, beyond belief) and the '90 Hermannshohle Spatlese (outstanding even from borderline provenance). I just do not see how these bottles were representative.

Peter Ruhrberg has had the '83 Hermannshohle or Brucke (don't recall which) in memory.

Let's also bear in mind the thought from a few of us that Brucke is the long distance runner in the Donnhoff stable.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

albany, ny

by Salil » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:08 pm

So basically just really, really bad luck for us then? (I wondered what the odds were for having every single older bottle showing horribly due to provenance/off bottle issues, but it seemed pretty low.)
David M. Bueker wrote:Let's also bear in mind the thought from a few of us that Brucke is the long distance runner in the Donnhoff stable.

That's something I was also curious about, as I've heard that opinion from quite a few - and after my experience with that '94 Brucke from your cellar I'm definitely convinced Brucke can age brilliantly. Maybe the only way to resolve this (as I suggested to Keith) might be to have a Brucke lineup some time in the spring. ;)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:11 pm

Brucke vertical? I would love to do that (even more than a 2002 horizontal).
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

albany, ny

by Salil » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:13 pm

Ok, we're on. I'm back in town in mid Jan - any time after sounds awesome. :D

(And I still have more of that incredibly mindblowing 06 Spatlese - and the 01 which might be fun to check in on... given how well the 01 Hermannshohle and 01 Prum WS showed last month.)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:14 pm

The beauty of it is that the Eiswein will fit right in.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:07 am

David M. Bueker wrote:the Garagiste releases of older Germans are coming straight from the estates with essentially guaranteed provenance.

Garagiste is selling older Donnhoff straight from the estate?

And Dee Vine is buying shoddy/questionable stuff?

Did anyone talk to Dade about whether this type of showing is normal for his older bottles?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:07 am

No...Garagiste is selling older Germans.

I don't know where Dee Vine got the wines, but according the Keith the '90 had Terry's import strip, so it's been around & exposed to who knows what as it changed hands. I have '89 and '90 from Terry Theise selections that are beyond delicious, but I have the advantage of being on the coast that they came to first before the days of provenance paranoia.

The '90 was nearly 20 years old. Who can guarantee that a grey market bottle with 20 years on it will be in good shape? Nobody, unless it was sourced directly from the estate, and even then corks fail. Heck I had a bottle of '96 Hermannshohle Auslese ruined by a cork that I could have pried out of the bottle with my fingernails it was so loose.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:03 am

David M. Bueker wrote:it's been around & exposed to who knows what as it changed hands.

Yes, always tough.