The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2006 ESJ Rosé Still Rocks!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: 2006 ESJ Rosé Still Rocks!

by David M. Bueker » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:13 pm

Opened one of my last remaining bottles tonight & it's still fantastic. Strawberry, raspberry, stone dust...yum! I love this wine. With luck my dwindling supply will hold out until the 2008.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

Re: WTN: 2006 ESJ Rosé Still Rocks!

by SteveEdmunds » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:29 pm

It's still rocking my boat, too, David. I think its Gamay-ness is the secret, not its rose-ness. For that reason, some (not many, I think) didn't like it. It seems to raise the question: just what is rose supposed to be? The '06 was a surprise to me; it far exceeded my expectations of what I could come up with in a pink wine from Gamay, and although the '07 and '08 are both nice wines, they're each different, and, truth be known, the '06 is my favorite. If anyone wants more of it, I still have a couple dozen cases available (Robin, please forgive me if I've crossed any line here!) :D
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:41 am

Steve Edmunds wrote:It's still rocking my boat, too, David. I think its Gamay-ness is the secret, not its rose-ness. For that reason, some (not many, I think) didn't like it. It seems to raise the question: just what is rose supposed to be? The '06 was a surprise to me; it far exceeded my expectations of what I could come up with in a pink wine from Gamay, and although the '07 and '08 are both nice wines, they're each different, and, truth be known, the '06 is my favorite. If anyone wants more of it, I still have a couple dozen cases available (Robin, please forgive me if I've crossed any line here!) :D

Steve - did Quench (your AZ distributor) get any of this?
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:10 am

Doug; Quench hasn't bought any wine from me for a couple of years. They seem completely uninterested in anything they haven't already thought of, sad to say.
Last edited by SteveEdmunds on Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:12 am

Steve,

You have me sorely tempted. Plus I don't have any 2005 R&G. I assume the R&G isn't headed to Massachusetts?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:53 am

Au Contraire; MA is a big R&G customer!
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:39 pm

Steve-
I happened down to the local shop this morning and they had a 2005 R&G open. It was a big hit and we all seemed to agree while it was drinking nicely now, a few years in the cellar wouldn't hurt at all.
Secondly, we got into a discussion/disagreement about the blend make up. Since there are big $$$ riding on your response, would you care to divulge the percentages of Grenache, Syrah and Mourvedre?
Thanks,
Bill Paumen
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:00 pm

Geez, what's it worth to you, Bill? :D
Seriously; it's Syrah, Grenache, Mourvedre, in that order. a little more Syrah than Grenache, and only 8-10% Mourvedre. Tiniest little bit of Counoise.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:51 pm

Ouch...well, actually none of us really did a great job of guesssing the blend %s. FWIW, I thought its Grenacheness was greater than its Syrahness. Then again, who cares about a silly wager when the wine tastes good. :wink:
Bill
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:30 pm

Glad to read it's OK. I have a single 04.

Walt
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:03 pm

Steve Edmunds wrote:Geez, what's it worth to you, Bill? :D
Seriously; it's Syrah, Grenache, Mourvedre, in that order. a little more Syrah than Grenache, and only 8-10% Mourvedre. Tiniest little bit of Counoise.

Wow, this is like a story problem in high school algebra! Assuming 1-2% Counoise, that means that there should be 46-50% Syrah and 38-44% Grenache. How'd I do, teach? :D

Mark Lipton