The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: My dear old Swan-ee

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: My dear old Swan-ee

by Jenise » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:05 pm

I have a feeling that title's been used before.

Not that it stops me. :) Last night we wanted a medium weight red to go with a main course of stuffed, deboned chicken. I chose the 1997 Joseph Swan "Wolfespierre Vinyeard" Pinot Noir. Never know what I'm going to find when I open one of these. Dark and dense color. On the nose, iodine and the Wolfespierre's unique mintiness. On the palate, both of those, slight jammy black raspberry fruit, and parsnips--pleasantly sweet and earthy. A bit of fizz on the tongue is probably related to the very wet cork. So, not the best bottle but we loved it anyway, and we found ourselves wondering how we would react to this wine if it wasn't a wine we had known and loved since infancy. It's so unusual, that warm vintage and that idiosyncratic old vineyard combining to make something that's not your usual California pinot, particularly this far out and while still having the bold fruit and the acidity to perchance cruise here for a few years. I look forward to the ride.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

Re: WTN: My dear old Swan-ee

by John Treder » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:41 pm

Strangely, I don't have any Wolfspierre Pinot Noir in my records. I did have some Wolfspierre Chardonnay, which was wonderful; the '95 aged gracefully for more than a decade.

John
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:55 pm

John, do you mean you never tasted it, or just never bought it? It was always ferociously minty, which didn't appeal to everyone, but I always adored it for something different, but 97 was the last vintage as the vineyard sold to somoene who planned to rip out the pinot and grow syrah (groan).
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:08 pm

Just received some older Swan-ees: 1981 and 1983 Cab and a 1996 Lone Redwood Zin.

Slight chance I might get to open these when Rod is in the OC for the 3d annual Falltacular Pinot bash coming up next month....
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:10 pm

James Dietz wrote:Just received some older Swan-ees: 1981 and 1983 Cab and a 1996 Lone Redwood Zin.

Slight chance I might get to open these when Rod is in the OC for the 3d annual Falltacular Pinot bash coming up next month....

Rod attends the Falltacular? Wow, you're getting some star power there....
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

by James Dietz » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:53 pm

It'll be his first time.. now if we could get some OR winemakers in that would change the whole tone of the event..
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:35 pm

John, do you mean you never tasted it, or just never bought it?
Yes. :-)
Never tasted it and never bought it. I have no idea why. I tend to like atypical terroirs such as Stellwagen zin or Great Oak PN from Swan, or Hillside Vineyard PN from Porter Creek.

John
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:44 pm

We don't see that much Swan around here, but if available I always look. My first Swan PN was one ('94? '95?) that Jenise brought to a restaurant in OC when we were visiting. One of my top 10 CA PNs of all time.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:08 pm

Dale Williams wrote:We don't see that much Swan around here, but if available I always look. My first Swan PN was one ('94? '95?) that Jenise brought to a restaurant in OC when we were visiting. One of my top 10 CA PNs of all time.

Really? That's great, Swan deserves that kind of thinking. I don't remember which one I brought on that occasion, and I had quite a few from both vintages. We're still drinking the 95 Estates.
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:50 pm

James Dietz wrote:It'll be his first time.. now if we could get some OR winemakers in that would change the whole tone of the event..

Should we make that happen? Not sure many people there would get it.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

by James Dietz » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:54 pm

Jason Hagen wrote:
James Dietz wrote:It'll be his first time.. now if we could get some OR winemakers in that would change the whole tone of the event..

Should we make that happen? Not sure many people there would get it.

I think it might be very enlightening....and open some dialogue.....I would like to see it..
Cheers, Jim