The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2004 Cantina Zaccagnini Montepulciano d'Abruzzo

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

WTN: 2004 Cantina Zaccagnini Montepulciano d'Abruzzo

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:58 pm

Hi Everyone,

It's been a while since I've posted here, and I'm doing so under my new, old name (K Story was my married name, Kralovec is my maiden name). Robin was kind enough to help me get my handle updated, thanks again for that!

Anyway, I just bought a case of the above mentioned wine from Empire Wines in New Jersey, after trying a bottle that was featured at Calvert Woodley in DC. Empire had it for $3 less a bottle, and when I factored in no tax and the lower bottle price, it was still cheaper to have it shipped from Jersey than to buy it locally.

Montepulciano d'Abruzzo has long been one of my favorite "everyday" wines, and this one is no exception. Medium/deep garnet. Loads of red fruit on the nose, with some elusive herbs in the background (oregano maybe?). A bit smoother than many of its peers, it still has enough of that earthy, rustic quality that I love, and great balance of tannins, fruit and acidity that makes it a perfect wine to accompany a broad range of food. Cute bottle, too...twig tied with dried grapevine.
CantinaZaccagniniMontepulcianodAbruzzo2005.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

Re: WTN: 2004 Cantina Zaccagnini Montepulciano d'Abruzzo

by Clinton Macsherry » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:24 pm

Welcome back, K. (Or is it K-squared now?) I've really enjoyed this MdA too.
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:52 pm

Clinton Macsherry wrote:Welcome back, K. (Or is it K-squared now?) I've really enjoyed this MdA too.

Thanks, Clinton! I was reading your notes on the red Baumard, and it sounds like it's right up my alley. However, a quick look on Wine Searcher yielded nothing in DC. Where did you pick this up?
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:08 pm

Welcome back to the forum Krystyn. I am sure you will enjoy it as much as you did before. BTW, would you post the name and a link to where you shop in New Jersey? Thanks.

Never mind the name and link Krystyn, I overlooked the name of the store in your original post.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

by Clinton Macsherry » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:42 pm

Kyrstyn Kralovec wrote:I was reading your notes on the red Baumard.... Where did you pick this up?

Purchased at Wells Discount Liquors up here in Baltimore, Kyrstyn. A quick Google will get you to their web site. Not sure if they ship, but a wineshop in the Maryland 'burbs of DC ought to be able to order a bottle for you.
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:10 pm

Welcome again, Kyrstyn, good to see you around.

I'm curious . . . did you have it with food?
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:07 am

Keith M wrote:I'm curious . . . did you have it with food?

Hi Keith - I did. Over the course of three nights, I had it with several different meals. Can't recall all of exactly what I had, some of it wasn't that exciting, but I know there was beef stew, and a tomato/cucumber salad with which it went surprisingly well. Wouldn't think of it stacking up well w/ raw veggies, must have been the herbs/spices that I used in the oil/vinegar dressing (oregano, thyme, garlic and salt).
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:19 pm

Kyrstyn Kralovec wrote: a tomato/cucumber salad with which it went surprisingly well. Wouldn't think of it stacking up well w/ raw veggies, must have been the herbs/spices that I used in the oil/vinegar dressing (oregano, thyme, garlic and salt).

Excellent. I wouldn't have thought of that either, but the unexpected delightful pairings are some of the neatest ones.