The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Party Wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

WTN: Party Wines

by Rahsaan » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:01 pm

A friend of mine was having a party and solicited my advice for some bottles. I was very happy about this because given what the rest of the guests brought (including some sour and misconstrued Beck’s Oktoberfest beer and various bottles of wine that re-opened my eyes to what people who are not wine geeks buy) it was nice to have something drinkable around.

I started with the peppery and herbal 2006 Clos Roche Blanche Touraine La Closerie. I thought 2006 was a big bulky year? I guess this is Touraine.

Those who wanted fruit drank the 2007 Iché Vin de Pays de l'Herault les Hérétiques and were happy. Although I preferred the 2007 Château d’Oupia Minervois, which in my opinion was well worth the extra few bucks for the greater depth and poise.

Needing some refreshment, I was very happy to see a few bottles of the 2007 Pépière Muscadet de Sèvre et Maine Sur Lie that provided me with all the fresh salty spray I needed to make it through the end of the evening.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Party Wines

by David M. Bueker » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:11 pm

2006 big and bulky? Where did this info come from?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Party Wines

by Rahsaan » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:18 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:2006 big and bulky? Where did this info come from?

I thought a lot of Loire wines tended to be very ripe and rich in 05 and 06 with more rot and uneven grapes in 06 that produced some awkward and unbalanced wines.

Pretty much the same mental shorthand as for Germany.

No?

I don't have a convenient database to track the Loire wines I've tasted (as opposed to read about) from 2006. It has definitely not been comprehensive but for whatever reason I expected something different here.