The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Carole Meredith...Vintner's Hall of Fame..

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Carole Meredith...Vintner's Hall of Fame..

by TomHill » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:04 pm

Congrats to Carole on being named to the 2009 Vintner's Hall of Fame. I had a sneaking suspicion some time ago that Carole would eventually do good!!! :-) Reported in Monday's blog by JonBonne.

BonneBlog: 2009 Vintners HoF

And Gerald Asher was the only non-winemaker named. Very well-deserved...Asher is the kind of wine writer that today's World is sorely missed. Alas...I don't think Gourmet takes advantage of his writing skills these days like they once did. I had the privledge to sit at table w/ Gerald at a BayWolf Pinot dinner. He is one of the finest gentlemen I've ever had the opportunity to break bread with. And very properly British to boot.
Tom
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Re: CaroleMeredith..Vintner's Hall of Fame..

by Hoke » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:40 pm

Tom, I echo your thoughts on both Carole and Gerald.

Haven't seen Gerald in years now, but back in my Texas days we had several contacts, and did some business together. I ran a very large tasting society for several years, and had Gerald appear at three of the events, and he was a great success each time. He is so very literate, witty and erudite as to be always charming and entertaining. Plus, he introduced me to Gavi di Gavi, with the La Scolca, which he first imported to the US. And he was a Barolo man very much to my own liking.

We had him as guest/host of a dinner of pros once, in the private room of a restaurant. That night I observed a tour de force performance, as Gerald flawlessly kept the conversation going, made it all inclusive, and kept the entire evening a delightful and participative time for all. Gerald had that touch; he was capable of engaging any one he came in contact with on a very personal basis. And he related such delightful stories with a wicked dry sense of humor.

Carole I have only met the once, and that briefly, but I've corresponded with her and of course seen her appear here and there on various forums. She has done some groundbreaking work on viticulture, of which we're all aware. But one of her greatest (and most frustrating) journeys was the establishment of the Lagier-Meredith Vineyard and Winery in Napa. Give her a moment and she'll bend your ear about those trials and tribulations. Of course, now L-M appears to have been all worth it, as the Syrah they are turning out is pretty remarkable.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:51 pm

We enjoyed the 2005 L-M this year, Hoke. I love reading their story on the winery website. She seems like good people!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:45 pm

Hoke wrote:Carole I have only met the once, and that briefly, but I've corresponded with her and of course seen her appear here and there on various forums. She has done some groundbreaking work on viticulture, of which we're all aware. But one of her greatest (and most frustrating) journeys was the establishment of the Lagier-Meredith Vineyard and Winery in Napa. Give her a moment and she'll bend your ear about those trials and tribulations. Of course, now L-M appears to have been all worth it, as the Syrah they are turning out is pretty remarkable.

And she cures some very commendable olives, too, which she generously served us in their kitchen when we visited L-M last year. And, yes, the Syrahs were [expletive deleted] good, too. And she's a very good conversationalist, too. Congrats, Prof. Meredith, for the well-deserved honor.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Victor de la Serna

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:50 pm

Madrid, Spain

by Victor de la Serna » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:17 pm

First she discovered where syrah really comes from, and then she switched hats and proceeded to show some amazing practical expertise with syrah in the field! There are few more deserving personalities than Dr. Meredith in the whole wide wine world!
no avatar
User

Carole Meredith

Rank

Cellar rat

Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:17 pm

Napa, California

by Carole Meredith » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:50 pm

Thanks everyone! I was quite surprised. And I was very pleased to see Gerald Asher's name on the list. He's an old friend of mine and a great guy.

Carole
Carole Meredith
Lagier Meredith Vineyard
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:04 pm

Carole Meredith wrote:Thanks everyone! I was quite surprised. And I was very pleased to see Gerald Asher's name on the list. He's an old friend of mine and a great guy.

Carole

Hello Carole,

It has been a long time since we have seen your name here. You are deserving of all our congratulations, and of the honor given you. You have worked hard for it, so now we hope you will stick around and talk wine with us.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

by Anders Källberg » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:28 pm

Carole! Great to see you here again and congratulations to the Vintner's Hall of Fame! I must confess that you are one of my heroes in the world of wine. As Bob wrote, hope to see you around here in the future.

Cheers,
Anders
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

Re: Carole Meredith...Vintner's Hall of Fame..

by Lou Kessler » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:53 pm

Congrats, well deserved. :D :D