The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Côtes du Rhône, Savoie, Douro

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

WTN: Côtes du Rhône, Savoie, Douro

by Keith M » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:22 pm

2006 Éric Texier Côtes du Rhône-Brézème [Syrah] (Brézème, Côtes du Rhône AOC, Northern Rhône, France) cork closure, 12.5% - imported to USA by Louis/Dressner Selections, LDM Wines, New York, New York – appears dark murky purple, smell pretty complex freshly opened, peppered, faint barnyard, toasted marshmallows, opens up into a nice beauty with elements of earth, taste bare tartness upfront, the tartness grows as the wine opens up, easy going yet quite acidic, some battery acid here, it was a very very pleasant wine before I introduced the food with which it performed wonderfully. Lamb tagine with quinces: did it go with the lamb? It most certainly did, offering wonderful refreshment and calling out some nice herbal qualities with the lamb. Did it go with the provençal butternut squash gratin? Yes, it did, even the sweetness of the roasted squash in puree form did not clash at all with the acidity of the wine. Okay, okay, but certainly it couldn't go with the cranberry upside-down cake I had for dessert—well, actually, a delicious match there as well. I would've been happy having this wine alone, I'd have enjoyed it with just the lamb, but the fact that it was delicious and versatile with everything on my table, makes its $22 pricetag a steal indeed. My first wine from this producer, presumably not my last.

2007 Jean-Pierre et Jean-François Quénard Vin de Savoie Chignin [Jacquère] (Chignin, Vin de Savoie AOC, eastern France) synthetic stopper, 11 to 14% - imported to USA by Charles Neal Selections, Richmond, California – appears very pale, almost colorless, smell hay, light perfume delicate, herbal, very light and inviting, mouthfeel is heavier, tiny bit of spritz, taste refreshing stones, crisp and narrow—somehow this wine manages to taste this way though the mouthfeel is thick and totally not crisp, bright herbal and chipper in the mouth, very mouthwatering and increasingly delicious as I drink, tasty lavender and herbs, yum, great match for fat noodles stir fried with bok choy, mushrooms and pork meatloaf, this wine is delicious and my first wine from the Jacquère grape (and likely my first Savoie wine), tasty, easy to drink, easy to like (for me, not so sure about the general appeal), for $15, this wine is a delightful find.

From importer: The Chignin is made with 100% Jacquèrre from 40-year-old vines planted on clay and limestone soils. Fermentation is in stainless steel tanks, with partial malolactic fermentation. It has wonderful texture for a mountain wine, and shows notes of dried apricot, a touch of nut, minerals and white pepper. A crisp, dry finish completes the package. Delicious good value summer white.

2005 Kolheita de Ideias Douro Esboço Tinto [45% tinta roriz/tempranillo, 35% touriga franca, 20% tinta barroca] (Douro DOC, northeastern Portugal) cork closure, 13.5% - imported to USA by Vinum Wine Importers, Redmond, Washington – appears murky dark purple, eventually tons of sediment, smell beautiful dark violets, hint of cloves and brown sugar, certain sweetness, spicy plums, mouthfeel thick and viscous, but rounded and not too thick, taste fair amount of dustiness, light hint of ripe fruit, unlike nose, spice with some depth, lots of flavor and concentration, but didn't work well with my lamb and quince dish (becoming overly powerful and alcoholic), much better without food, I liked the elements of this that reminded me of a dried port, but overall I found the wine a bit tiring to drink, I'd pass on another at $16
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Côtes du Rhône, Savoie, Douro

by David M. Bueker » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:49 pm

Does the Brézème still sport synthetic cork, or is your cork reference to the real stuff?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:57 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Does the Brézème still sport synthetic cork, or is your cork reference to the real stuff?

The real stuff.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:38 pm

Keith M wrote:2006 Éric Texier Côtes du Rhône-Brézème [Syrah]...taste bare tartness upfront, the tartness grows as the wine opens up, easy going yet quite acidic, some battery acid here..My first wine from this producer, presumably not my last.

As you have noticed, Eric's wines tend towards the delicate and refreshingly-acidic side of the Rhone. Even his Southern Rhone wines.

Previous vintages of the Brézème have been searingly acidic and challenging for some tasters. But he seems to get more and more focus with each vintage.
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:03 pm

Keith M wrote:[...did it go with the lamb? It most certainly did... Did it go with the provençal butternut squash gratin? Yes, it did... certainly it couldn't go with the cranberry upside-down cake I had for dessert—well, actually, a delicious match there as well. I would've been happy having this wine alone, I'd have enjoyed it with just the lamb...

And I would drink it on a train, I will drink it on a plane
I will drink it in the dark, and I will have it in the park.
Thank you thank you Sam-I-Am
Every day I will drink Brezeme!
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:21 pm

Mark S wrote:And I would drink it on a train, I will drink it on a plane
I will drink it in the dark, and I will have it in the park.
Thank you thank you Sam-I-Am
Every day I will drink Brezeme!

Ha! Classic, Mark, classic!