The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Govino Shatterproof Wineglass

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mike Pollard

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:53 pm

San Diego

Govino Shatterproof Wineglass

by Mike Pollard » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:23 pm

Our household wine glass these days is a cheap version of the Riedel O tumbler. I never thought I would learn to like a stem less wine glass but they do grow on you; especially good for washing in a dishwasher and can be stacked for storage. But they are glass and so not good for occasions where glass can be a problem like at the beach or for traveling. But then I found the Govino shatterproof wineglass. These things seem like they might be very useful when glass can’t used and they are dirt cheap - $2-3USD/glass.

Has anyone any experience with the Govino or any other glass/tumbler with similar properties (i.e. shatterproof, reusable and dishwashable)?

Mike
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

Re: Govino Shatterproof Wineglass

by Tom Troiano » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:35 pm

These sound interesting for travel but their web site doesn't say much.

This may sound really stupid but what do they mean by shatter proof? What happens if I hit one with a hammer?
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:42 pm

I should have followed the links. The glasses are made of PETG.

http://www.midlandplastics.com/srtd_petg.htm

http://www.boedeker.com/spectar.htm
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:31 am

Mike,

I decided to buy some of these. They seem so cheap that they're worth a shot. I'll report back once I've tested them out.

Tom T.
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Mike Pollard

Rank

Ultra geek

San Diego

by Mike Pollard » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:57 pm

Tom Troiano wrote:Mike,

I decided to buy some of these. They seem so cheap that they're worth a shot. I'll report back once I've tested them out.

Tom T.

Tom,

Yep, the price is too good to pass up so I've also put in an order. We can compare notes.

Mike
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:55 pm

A fellow on another website I frequent (for wine makers) recommends these: http://www.target.com/Polycarbonate-White-Wine-Glasses-Set/dp/B00117EOIU/sr=1-2/qid=1222612242/ref=sr_1_2/602-3948280-3061423?ie=UTF8&index=target&rh=k%3Apolycarbonate%20wine%20glasses&page=1. I'm tempted to pick up a set. Then again, my boys are asking me to hint about Christmas presents.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:57 pm

Tom Troiano wrote:I should have followed the links. The glasses are made of PETG.

Looks good for anything but ultraviolet - maybe not the thing for those al fresco experiences. I look forward to you gusy getting back to us on this. The pictures make them look like clear glass, which anything made of plastic usually doesn't - thicker and different refractive index, and often some distortion if they were cast.

Could be a useful product if they look as good in the flesh as on the webpage.
no avatar
User

Mike Pollard

Rank

Ultra geek

San Diego

by Mike Pollard » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:12 pm

My order of Govino shatterproof wineglasses arrived last night and so we put a couple through their paces. These glasses are stemless and made from Polyethylene Terepthalate Glycol (PETG) which has uses in blister packaging and plastic bottles. My purchase was through the Govino website and with UPS ground shipping and tax the final cost came out to a little over $4/glass. Each glass comes in its own plastic sleeve and there sitting on top of all of them was a printed note advising that they be hand washed because of the variability in dishwashers! Whether they will survive our usual dishing cycle will be tested soon because I really don’t feel like hand washing a $4 glass.

First the “glass” itself is extremely light and very transparent ("crystal clear") so viewing the color of a wine is no problem at all. And the nose and taste of the wine we drank last night (Carlisle 2005 Knights Valley "Pelkan Ranch" Syrah, 15.7%) was the same in both the Govino and a similarity shaped and inexpensive stemless glass from Crate and Barrel. And the alcohol in the Carlisle didn’t melt the Govino on contact. Yes, I’m being facetious but it is worth pointing out that PETG is apparently quite durable, although it can be scratched. I would think that dropping the Govino onto a hard surface would cause little damage in terms of breakage. Miranda wouldn't let me test that on our stamped concrete floor.

An indentation at the widest point of the glass does help hold the glass because it is quite firm at this point. However the top of the glass can be compressed by simply squeezing your fingers together. Fortunately the plastic is so thin and flexible that it springs back into shape. The real problem is the lip. For some reason the lip has been made to curve slightly into the glass. It’s a small curve, probably less than a millimeter, but you notice it as soon as you put the glass to your mouth and take a sip of wine. It may be that without this curl the plastic lip would be quite sharp but each time I took a sip of wine I thought to myself that it would be quite easy to cut your own lip if you were bumped while drinking. Miranda liked the Govino, didn’t see the lip as a problem, and thought I was being more paranoid than normal. Her argument was that I've been bumped while drinking from glasses with very thin lips and I'm still here with my lips intact, in fact not even scratched.

After we had our wine I simply rinsed the Govino’s with cold water and let them drain overnight. This morning they were water stained (as is usual with San Diego water) but unlike their cheap glass cousins from Crate and Barrel the Govino cleaned up nicely with a simple wipe using a soft cloth.

So is the Govino a quality wine glass? No. This is not the glass to use for a dinner party or even as a cheap replacement for wine tasting. But I can see it as a good alternative in situations where there is the possibility of having your quality glassware mistreated and broken, like at a gathering of folks who simply want a glass of wine and don’t care what the glass or wine is. Or for when Miranda’s mother visits; she is the only person in our household to have broken a glass while drinking. So the Govino will get a run at our next BBQ or informal gathering of non-wine tragics. One thing is for sure we will be able to leave them out to drain overnight without worrying about whether the cats have smashed them onto the kitchen floor during their own social event.

Mike
Last edited by Mike Pollard on Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:24 pm

Mike,

Thanks! My glasses haven't arrived yet. It sounds like they'll be good for by the pool, at the beach, a football tailgate party. etc.

Tom T.
Tom T.