The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN - Defying the Fates: Petrus 1972

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

WTN - Defying the Fates: Petrus 1972

by Ryan M » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:55 pm

Link to the note I've posted in Rogov's Place:

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=20487
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

Re: WTN - Defying the Fates: Petrus 1972

by SteveEdmunds » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:04 am

Wow!!! '72 (the year I got into the wne biz) has such a bad record, almost everywhere. Fun to read about the nice surprise!!!
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:30 am

I drank a number of 72, 73 and 74 clarets when they were relatively young. They could indeed be decent wines and as you'd expect, the very best producers would make the best of a bad lot. Problem was that they were not long lived wines and should have been drunk up by the end of the decade in which they were made.

That Petrus was probably as good as it got, and it would have been pretty decent much earlier on. I also recall tasting a 72 Latour that wasn't a total waste of time.

Of the bad vintages, my experience of 1965 is insufficient to know for sure, but it may be the worst in recent memory, and failing that, I have never tasted a 1977 claret that I thought worth the price of the bottle and cork, first growths not excepted. I call them Hobbesian wines, uniformly nasty, brutish and short.

PS - you were probably better off not having to resort to the 73 Mouton, an ungenerous wine from the beginning.
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:01 pm

Hello Bill - I've responded to the copy of your post in Rogov's Place.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:34 pm

I've posted my notes for the other wines I've had from this remarkable cellar in Rogov's Place.
Galileo Galilei

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:44 pm

A couple years back I bought very cheaply a bottle of the '72 and '73 VCC - both, but especially the '73 - exceeded my expectations. The '72 was a nice old Claret, well worth the 25€ or so I paid for the lovely aged but classic Pomerol scents. The '73 was however wonderful and I immediately ordered the rest that the shop had (it was a bit more expensive but still cheap for an old wine) - of course it is an aged wine, but I love such aromas. I find it amazing how often gambling on a great name's "bad" vintage pays off for me...

-O
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.