The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Refilling Winekeeper Nitrogen Canisters

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rod Miller

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:52 pm

El Dorado, CA

Refilling Winekeeper Nitrogen Canisters

by Rod Miller » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:31 pm

Can anyone describe how to refill the little winekeeper nitrogen canisters? I am tired of paying $100 for four canisters. Alternatively does anyone know what the PSI of the canisters is? I could set a standard nitrogen cylinder to the right pressure to attach the winekeeper regulator. The spigots are good for preserving wine for weeks, but the little tanks only last for 20 bottles. I like have several bottles open at once. It is good for comparing wines.

Thanks for the help!!!

thubten
May all beings find happiness and the causes of happiness!!!!
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: Refilling Winekeeper Nitrogen Canisters

by Paul Winalski » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:37 am

I don't think it's possible to refill those Winekeeper nitrogen canisters.

I have an older Winekeeper system that uses a standard nitrogen cylinder. It's good for a lot more bottles before you need to refill it, and the refill consists of a cylinder exchange at the local welding supply shop, and costs 1/3 less than a new Winekeeper canister. The original refillable nitrogen cylinder does cost about $40, though, but you soon get that investment back.

You can convert one of the disposable-canister Winekeeper systems to a refillable-cylinder system. I did this some years back with a disposable-cylinder Winekeeper that my brother had bought. The company that makes the Winekeeper (see http://www.winkekeeper.com) also sells spare parts for the reusable-canister system. I don't remember the details, but the gist is that you buy a regulator that fits a standard refillable nitrogen cylinder and you just connect the plastic tube from your disposable-cylinder system to it. Call the tech support folks at Winekeeper and they can advise you as to what parts you need.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Rod Miller

Rank

Ultra geek

El Dorado, CA

by Rod Miller » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:06 pm

ThANKS FOR THE HELP!! I was coming to the same conclusion that you did, but I was hoping maybe some engineer type might have a cheaper fix. I have not had luck finding the regulator you described. I will call winekeeper themselves.

Rod
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:50 pm

Trust me, Winekeeper DO have that regulator. Take a look at their "Commercial Keeper" line of products. Maybe for more than you're willing to pay for, perhaps. Give them a call, figure out what you need to complete your system, and get a quote from them. Then decide whether it's right for you.

Regards,

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:31 pm

Hi Rod,
This thread got me thinking, I wonder if it is possible to convert a portable oxygen generator into a portable nitrogen generator. The exhaust outlet on such a device has to be expelling a “rich” nitrogen air mixture (instead of just letting it “vent” out and mix with the surrounding air, somehow adapt a fitting to the “exhaust” and “capture” the “rich” nitrogen air mixture. I definitely have to look into this. Thanks.

Salute
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:08 pm

The big question is how pure the nitrogen from such a source would be. Nitrogen from commercial N2 cylinders is, for all practical purposes, completely devoid of oxygen (99.9% oxygen-free or better). An O2 generator might generate pure oxygen, but also vent out an exhaust that still has significant amounts of oxygen present.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Rod Miller

Rank

Ultra geek

El Dorado, CA

by Rod Miller » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:51 am

I got a quote from the local airgas retailer for a regulator and 20 gal. tank full of N2for about the same price as the regulator from winekeeper. I will need to find an adapter to connect from the tank regulator to the winekeeper regulator. I think airgas has that kind of stuff. I will give it a try. I don't like being held hostage by winekeeper for the little tanks.

Yee ha