The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2002 Mount Langi Ghiran Shiraz Mast Rare Reserve Block

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Gregg G

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:10 pm

Atwater Village, CA.

WTN: 2002 Mount Langi Ghiran Shiraz Mast Rare Reserve Block

by Gregg G » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:49 pm

2002 Mount Langi Ghiran Shiraz Mast Rare Reserve Block - Australia, Victoria (11/5/2008)
I popped this the night of the election. This is the story of the little Shiraz that could. I must commend Jon Rimmerman for this wine and the 2001 Bowen Estate Shiraz. Both wines have been, thankfully, unstereotypical for Shiraz. Both wines resemble Northern Rhone with the power and complexity of Cote Rotie and the rusticity and vigor of Cornas. The Mount Langhi shows notes of pepper, blueberry, animal, blood, roasted meats and herbs. It's graceful on the palate with a feeling of saturation without fatigue. Excellent balance and length. With air time, it begins to change somewhat by showing some dried fruit, slight raisin notes. It's a savory wine for sure and a superb deal. A great ringer to use in blind tastings.
Regards,
Gregg
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

Re: WTN: 2002 Mount Langi Ghiran Shiraz Mast Rare Reserve Block

by Salil » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:01 pm

I hate myself for being a day too late when Garagiste offered it out. I love Mt. Langi, and have heard nothing but great notes on this wine (even from people with very old world palates who normally would cringe at the mere thought of 'Shiraz').