The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Upside down - 2006 Burgundy

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Upside down - 2006 Burgundy

by David M. Bueker » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:27 pm

So I saw my first 2006 Burgs at retail today. I must say that they bear a striking resemblance to the mortgage market. The prices are just upside down, more than the wines are worth, and a lot more than the 2005s!

Now I have only run across a few on the shelves, and I will restrict my comments to CT/MA availability, but when a top producer's 2006 Bourgogne is $29.99 on the shelf versus the 2005 being $23.99 I know where my money would go. Granted they are both high, but at least the 2005 came with the advantage of a tip-top vintage. 2006, bought mostly with the weakest dollar in history, is not a superior vintage, and yet is now on the market at a "vintage of the century" premium.

I really feel for the distributors and shops that brought in this inventory. They are eventually going to need to dump it, and it's going to be ugly.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

Re: Upside down - 2006 Burgundy

by Oswaldo Costa » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:30 am

Yes, I've been consistently puzzled by the high cost of 06 burgs, when they should cost as much as the 04s, adjusted for the exchange rate. Perhaps they will be lying all over the floor in a few months, at a loss to importers, for those of us not on probation or with less than 2,700 million bottles in the cellar. :wink:
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:17 am

I think when 2005 sold out despite big price increases, some (whether producers, importers, distributors), though "why lower prices if we can sell" but then the dollar dive continued. I do think that 2006 has some very strong wines, but so far I've bought three bottles (1 Drouhin Grand Cru at a sale price and 2 $22 Bourgognes).

I actually thought when I saw your title it was going to be about consumers who bought early being upside down. I'm expecting the dump sales to start soon.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:02 pm

I think when 2005 sold out despite big price increases

But not all 2005s sold out. There were the big names that flew but the sales recently show that there may have been too much supply of 'mid-range' wines to meet demand.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:08 pm

I'm still seeing a lot of 2005 wine from Lignier, Arnoux, etc. on the shelf. Prices are high though.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:37 am

Rahsaan wrote:But not all 2005s sold out. There were the big names that flew but the sales recently show that there may have been too much supply of 'mid-range' wines to meet demand.

I was talking about at producer/importer/distributor level, my impression is there wasn't much left, at least from the producers I buy. I know there are retailers with plenty, and we've seen some sales, but almost all seem to be of in-stock, not middle-tier closeouts.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:42 am

New stuff keeps popping up around my area (the Lignier and some Fourrier appeared early this fall/late summer).
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:58 am

Dale Williams wrote:I was talking about at producer/importer/distributor level, my impression is there wasn't much left, at least from the producers I buy. I know there are retailers with plenty, and we've seen some sales, but almost all seem to be of in-stock, not middle-tier closeouts.

Ok, I don't follow this market very closely. I just know that Bassins had a 20% off 2005 Burgundy sale last week and they still have assorted stuff remaining. And I've seen a smattering of 05s at other stores. But not that this a national trend makes.