Gamay Shelter!

The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

Gamay Shelter!

Postby Steve Edmunds » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:05 pm

It's the prettiness of the best cru Beaujolais that keeps me coming back, especially in Spring and Summer, (indeed it's the same thing that propelled me into the nearly unfathomable notion that I could actually produce wine like that in California--and sell it!) so, over the last couple of days I've opened two of my most favorite of the genre.
Unfortunately the bottle I opened Tuesday, 2004 Fleurie, Clos de la Roilette seemed to have gone into a funk; the nose was uncharacteristically dirty (not stinky, just missing all the freshness, the florality, the bright and lively fruit. The flavors carried over the dirt, making the wine's naturally high acidity unpleasantly sharp. I've had wines from the Rhone (both North and South) that have done this, and it's most disappointing. I'm hoping this is just an anomalous bottle.

Last night I opened the 2004 Chateau Thivin, Cote de Brouilly hoping to satisfy the craving that had provoked opening the Fleurie the night before. Thivin is, at it's best, the wine that captures everything I love about this kind of wine. But I was out of luck again. The nose wasn't as cut off as the Roilette, but the character was compromised; instead of strawberries and pepper, there was a smell like slightly bad charcuterie, and some non-descript red fruit. You could drink it, but knowing the way it had tasted in previous examples, it was a mighty letdown. What the hell's going on here?
These bones were NOT jolly :(
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
Steve Edmunds
Wine guru

Re: Gamay Shelter!

Postby David M. Bueker » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:46 pm

Nice notes, but KILLER title!
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru

Postby James Roscoe » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:50 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Nice notes, but KILLER title!

Do you think he was "Stoned" when he came up with the title? Or was Steve just "Rolling"?
James Roscoe
Chat Prince

Artiste du vin! Musicien inspiré! And a punster, too!

Postby Gary Barlettano » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:22 pm

That title provided today's best smile.
Gary Barlettano
Pappone di Vino

Postby Bill Buitenhuys » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:34 am

It's always Beatles vs. Stones, isnt it?
Instead of Strawberry Fields and Sgt. Pepper, you get old, dirty Glimmer Twins.
Bill Buitenhuys
Wine guru

Postby Dave Erickson » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:40 am

Proof again, unfortunately, that there are no great wines, only great bottles.
Dave Erickson
Wine guru

Postby James Roscoe » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:43 am

Bill Buitenhuys wrote:It's always Beatles vs. Stones, isnt it?
Instead of Strawberry Fields and Sgt. Pepper, you get old, dirty Glimmer Twins.

Can't you have both? A little strawberry, apple, stones and plenty of acid. The sixties were great for wine descriptors, and I was only ten in '69.
James Roscoe
Chat Prince

Postby Bill Buitenhuys » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:50 am

Can't you have both? A little strawberry, apple, stones and plenty of acid.
Sounds like an urzinger wurzgarten riesling!

I was only ten in '69.
Funnily enough, ditto here.
Bill Buitenhuys
Wine guru

Postby David M. Bueker » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:54 am

I was only 2 in '69 (I'm a Sgt. Pepper baby), but the Beatles rule the world.

Of course it could be the Spencer Davis Group...Gamay some lovin'...
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru

Postby James Roscoe » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:57 am

Bill Buitenhuys wrote:

Where can I find some?!!
Last edited by James Roscoe on Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
James Roscoe
Chat Prince

Postby Mike Filigenzi » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:58 am

Or the Box Tops?

"Gamay a ticket for an aeroplane...."

Mike

"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a very narrow field" - Niels Bohr
Mike Filigenzi
Known for his fashionable hair

Postby wrcstl » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:58 am

Steve Edmunds wrote:It's the prettiness of the best cru Beaujolais that keeps me coming back, especially in Spring and Summer, (indeed it's the same thing that propelled me into the nearly unfathomable notion that I could actually produce wine like that in California--and sell it!) so, over the last couple of days I've opened two of my most favorite of the genre.
Unfortunately the bottle I opened Tuesday, 2004 Fleurie, Clos de la Roilette seemed to have gone into a funk; the nose was uncharacteristically dirty (not stinky, just missing all the freshness, the florality, the bright and lively fruit. The flavors carried over the dirt, making the wine's naturally high acidity unpleasantly sharp. I've had wines from the Rhone (both North and South) that have done this, and it's most disappointing. I'm hoping this is just an anomalous bottle.

Last night I opened the 2004 Chateau Thivin, Cote de Brouilly hoping to satisfy the craving that had provoked opening the Fleurie the night before. Thivin is, at it's best, the wine that captures everything I love about this kind of wine. But I was out of luck again. The nose wasn't as cut off as the Roilette, but the character was compromised; instead of strawberries and pepper, there was a smell like slightly bad charcuterie, and some non-descript red fruit. You could drink it, but knowing the way it had tasted in previous examples, it was a mighty letdown. What the hell's going on here?
These bones were NOT jolly :(

Steve,
I have both of these wines in my cellar but of different vintages. Had a '02 Roilette this weekend that was one of the best (out of 55 wines) opened in three days; some real wine geek parties. It was not strawberry fields but complex bright red fruit with a hint of forest floor and definitely Beaujolais. Have you had the '04s before. Could this be representative of the vintage or is it just some off bottles? I love Beaujolais and was looking at picking up a few bottles of either of these producers.
Walt
wrcstl
Wine guru

Postby James Roscoe » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:59 am

Bill Buitenhuys wrote:

Where can I find some?!!!!
James Roscoe
Chat Prince

Postby Steve Edmunds » Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:47 pm

Hi, Walt!
I have had the '04s before, and liked them a lot; that's why this is so disconcerting. :(
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
Steve Edmunds
Wine guru

Postby David M. Bueker » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:25 pm

James Roscoe wrote:
Bill Buitenhuys wrote:

Where can I find some?!!!!

Well Urziger Wurzgarten Rieslings are made by producers such as Merkelbach, Monchof, Christoffel and a whole host of other producers.
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru

Postby James Roscoe » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:47 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Well Urziger Wurzgarten Rieslings are made by producers such as Merkelbach, Monchof, Christoffel and a whole host of other producers.

So I look for these producers? Are the Mosels? What other info do I need when I go to the BAWS?
James Roscoe
Chat Prince

Return to The Wine Forum