The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: Loire red and white, Saar white

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

TN: Loire red and white, Saar white

by Dale Williams » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:12 pm

Over couple nights, first night with leftover venison, second with sausages, both nights with baby bok choy braised in Sauternes and duck fat (I was trying to clean out fridge) and herbed pan roasted potatoes:

2005 Filliatreau "Vieilles Vignes" Saumur-Champigny
This is really lovely, black raspberry and plum fruit, a mocha note, plenty of damp earth. Medium-bodied, good length, clean and refreshing. This could probably use some time, but really nice now. B+

2007 van Volxem Saar Riesling
Tasted right after some blackberries, seems bitter. But given a fair shake it comes across as a pleasant just off-dry Riesling. Citrusy notes of grapefruit and some stone fruit, pleasant if not compelling. B

1999 Domaine des Aubuisieres "Cuvee de Silex" Vouvray
Thought this OTH at first, but the oxidative notes calmed down. Not quite demi-sec, let's call sec-tendre, apple cider and some waxy/wooly notes. OK, maybe even good, but on level of a lot of base Vouvrays. Just a glass of this, rest is going to be wasted (I'm going away), but what the hell it ws $10. B-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: TN: Loire red and white, Saar white

by David M. Bueker » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:23 am

The van Volxem is disappointing. I thought all 2007s were supposed to be great. :wink:
Decisions are made by those who show up