The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Copia closes suddenly...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Copia closes suddenly...

by Hoke » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:42 pm

According to the Napa Valley Register, Copia quietly closed its doors this weekend. Left the Movie crowd and a concert crowd in the lurch.

Not unexpected...but still, tacky, tacky.

Let the post-mortems begin---but anyway you look at it, it's a loss for Napa and the wine world in general.

By the way-------helloooo from sunny Vancouver BC. This is one great town, which everybody should visit. Might wanta get here before the Olympics though. (And take the BC Ferry to go to Victoria, which is an altogether neat place as well.)
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

Re: Copia closes suddenly...

by Sam Platt » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:59 pm

Okay, I will ask; what is/was "Copia"? Sorry, I'm from Indiana.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:13 pm

Sam Platt wrote:Okay, I will ask; what is/was "Copia"? Sorry, I'm from Indiana.

http://www.copia.org/

To me it seemed to lack focus. Not really a museum. Not really a community cultural center. Not really a restaurant. Not really a winery. Not really an amusement park. Yet it tried to touch on each of these dimensions.

That said, it was better to have it exist than to not have it exist.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:15 pm

Wow - we were right across the street from it this morning. Didn't think about stopping in as we were in a hurry. Would have been a surprise to see it closed.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Patti L

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:22 am

Iowa

by Patti L » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:21 pm

This makes me sad. I think the concept was very cool. And I was hoping to get there next time I'm out that way.
Patti
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:07 am

It never struck me as a good idea. Instead, it seemed like a self-congratulatory nod to the lifestyle of the haves and the have-mores. Don't get me wrong, I like the thought of inviting the world to discover the ways in which wine can help us reconnect with the forces of nature, but I never got the feeling Copia could ever get beyond marketing, and after awhile, marketing is just marketing.
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

MtBakerDave

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:53 pm

Seattle

by MtBakerDave » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:40 am

Hoke wrote:By the way-------helloooo from sunny Vancouver BC. This is one great town, which everybody should visit. Might wanta get here before the Olympics though. (And take the BC Ferry to go to Victoria, which is an altogether neat place as well.)

Yeah, I love it up in Vancouver! So cosmopolitan, and so beautiful too! I always have a ball when I go up there. Not only that, I won't have to commiserate with my Canadian friends about the state of the republic so much come January.

Victoria is great too, with only one caveat - they STILL don't have any sewage treatment plant. At all. They dump their raw sewage into the sound. There's lots of talk about building a sewage treatment plant, but no firm plans or funding in place yet AFAIK. I'm only visiting there for the amount of time I can hold it until they get the treatment plant done. Over on the other side of the island though, Tofino and Uculet are a must see IMHO. Ravishingly beautiful coastline, and I really get the feeling I'm at the edge of the world there.

Dave
Last edited by MtBakerDave on Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Bonnie in Holland

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:35 am

The Netherlands

by Bonnie in Holland » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:51 am

According to Decanter.com, the CEO says that the plan is to reopen on December 1.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Awwwwww, Man....

by TomHill » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:54 am

Steve Edmunds wrote:....., marketing is just marketing.

Awwwww, Steve.......in fencing we call this easy target...but....I...will....bite....my...tongue!!! :-)
Tom