The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: La Belle Heirloom Apple Wine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

WTN: La Belle Heirloom Apple Wine

by Carl Eppig » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:19 pm

N/V La Belle, Heirloom Apple Wine, Walpole NH ($12.49 500 ml). Alcohol level: 12.5%. My brother gave this to me a year or so ago, so I don’t really know how old it was. I was kind of afraid to open it because I feared it might be cloyingly horrible or something like that. NOT!

It gave some floral notes on the nose, accompanied with some apple flavors upfront. The palate revealed a nicely mature white only slightly off dry and reasonably complex. The finish was delightful.

Matched it with brats sautéed in EVOO with Dijon mustard, and salad with Drew’s Roasted Garlic dressing. It all went together surprisingly well.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: WTN: La Belle Heirloom Apple Wine

by Howie Hart » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:23 pm

Carl Eppig wrote:...and salad with Drew’s Roasted Garlic dressing...
I'll have to try that one. :wink:
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:33 pm

You know, Carl, apple and pear wines - especially when made dry - can be very pleasant and work very well at the table too. I find them to be much more balanced than many berry wines, which can have an excessive sweet/tart profile that I find tiring after a while.

Thanks for the note.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:21 pm

Paul B. wrote:You know, Carl, apple and pear wines - especially when made dry - can be very pleasant and work very well at the table too. I find them to be much more balanced than many berry wines, which can have an excessive sweet/tart profile that I find tiring after a while.

Putney Mountain Winery of Putney, Vermont, produced (when I visited) a series of sparkling apple wines from different apple varieties all of which were vinified dry and which would've made decent wines with a meal--though to be honest none of them caught my fancy. But cloyingly sweet they were not--and the difference among apple varieties was indeed interesting.
no avatar
User

David Z

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:06 pm

by David Z » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:39 pm

Interestingly, Farnum Hill Ciders in Lebanon, NH, which is one of the better cider producers in the USA, grows its apples on the exact same "granite" (actually syenite) that they have an hour down the road in Walpole.