The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Couple of Nice Wines with Dinner

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

WTN: Couple of Nice Wines with Dinner

by Diane (Long Island) » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:48 pm

Knowing Friday would be a hectic day of work with some errands on the way home, I had the forethought on the previous evening to slowly defrost ribs that were leftovers from a dinner at Blue Smoke. In addition, there were the week's leftovers of mashed yams and some gratineed artichokes to round out the meal. As soon as the food was in the oven, I opened a 2000 Ridge Geyserville. A big, muscular wine with dark cherries, good acidity, rich and spicy. I can't think of a better wine to pair with the spicy sauced ribs. The alcohol is kinda high on this at 14.9%, but it was incorporated well in the whole package.
Last night, I stopped at the fish store for some shrimp. I came across a recipe that intrigued me using butternut squash and shrimp with pasta, and I planned that for dinner. In addition to the squash, that is roughly mashed when tender, I shredded our cooked, garden picked brussel sprouts and added them to the dish. Our wine was a 2004 Francois Cotat Les Monts Dames. Nice and crisp, lots of citrus, predominatly grapefruit, and minerals, showing complexity and the end of a glass begged for more. I'm patting myself on the back, as I selected well on these two nights.
Tonight, a 2000 Pegau will accompany me to dinner when I meet up with a few wine loving friends.
Diane
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Couple of Nice Wines with Dinner

by David M. Bueker » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:50 pm

Very nice.

Of course I am really looking forward to your take on the 2000 Pegau. The 2001 was nothing short of sublime on Thursday.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

by Diane (Long Island) » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:30 pm

It's nice to hear that about the 2001 Pegau. I have a few bottles, but haven't opened any. I have yet to be enamoured by any 2001 Rhone - north or south - that I've had. To me, they've been painfully unbalanced. Maybe it's time to try one, and I do have plans to bring one to the annual Peter Pratt extravaganza in January. Have you ever been tempted to attend? I don't care for big, boisterous events, but this one is just a lot of fun, with great wines to be had.
Diane
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:44 pm

Diane (Long Island) wrote:Have you ever been tempted to attend? I don't care for big, boisterous events, but this one is just a lot of fun, with great wines to be had.

Yes, but I am also not a fan of such events.
Decisions are made by those who show up