The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1998 Lafon Rochet

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: 1998 Lafon Rochet

by Jenise » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:28 pm

We Open-Miked this wine about 1-2 years ago and both Otto and I found it in a pretty good place, with it's formerly hard black fruit softened amazingly into generous red territory. So when am I going to learn to, when something's drinking just really great, go ahead and drink them? I may have missed the boat here.

Opened a bottle last night to serve with grilled, curry-cured flank steak. Youthful dark garnet color. Found it pretty hard so threw it into a decanter for an hour which resulted in just about no change whatsoever. By this time dinner was ready so I went to the cellar to get another bottle of the wine just to rule out bottle variation. And we found it to have just a smidge more fruit but nonetheless with the same drying tannins. I'll check the remainders later today to see how they fared overnight, but I'm guessing that this wine's best days are behind it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 1998 Lafon Rochet

by David M. Bueker » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:31 pm

Ouch.

Both you and I are likely in the same position - too much wine to think of drinking multiple bottles of the same wine too close together. I've made the same mistake more than once.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:55 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Ouch.

Both you and I are likely in the same position - too much wine to think of drinking multiple bottles of the same wine too close together. I've made the same mistake more than once.

Yup, exactly. :cry:
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:27 pm

Jenise wrote:I may have missed the boat here.

I very much doubt it. I have come to think that when we had our Open Mike on it, we just caught it at a very good time: it was open, but it was young. Remembering my taste of it, it didn't have mature notes to it, despite its openness. My guess would be that it has once again retreated into its shell. It is also a winery known for making tough, backward wines and a vintage known for its backward and tough wines and an appellation of Bordeaux known for those two words as well. So my bet is that it will once again be a fine drink in perhaps five or so years.

-O
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:51 pm

I hope Otto is right. If not, it is a scary thing if a decent ’98 Medoc can be all done in ten years. Compare that to the bottles of 1797 this and that which guys like Broadbent drink. If what you say is true, I might as well take my Bordeaux collection to Las Vegas and plan on not leaving with it.

When side-by-side bottles go to sleep and wake up together, do you think the same ambient condition has anything to with the synchronicity? Could mine be on a different schedule? Of course we let our children play with one another online, so no experiment can be definitive. Nevertheless, I will open a '98 Lafon Rochet over the holidays.
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Albany, New York

by Covert » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:47 pm

Hi Jenise,

After my last response to you I looked up the bottle on Parker Online, and he has a very different opinion. Again, this scares me because you are so often correct about maturity. If you are right about this one, then many of my bottles come suddenly under suspicion. Parker's opinion of maturity plateaus is all I use him for, and I pay $100 per year for this service.

"A dense purple color is accompanied by a tannic, smoky, concentrated, earthy wine with abundant blackberry and cassis fruit, underbrush, minerals, and a steely character, and a powerful, tannic finish. Anticipated maturity: 2003-2016."
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:50 pm

There's always the "bad bottle" theory. Oh, wait...bad bottles.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:44 am

Otto Nieminen wrote:Remembering my taste of it, it didn't have mature notes to it, despite its openness. My guess would be that it has once again retreated into its shell.

Covert wrote:After my last response to you I looked up the bottle on Parker Online, and he has a very different opinion... Anticipated maturity: 2003-2016."

Covert, look at that range again--that's pretty broad, and 2008 is within that range. But I'll say this, Parker is often wrong, however in my experience he's wrong the other way, his drink-by dates are usually conservative and many wines show well even a decade later. I've had a few of them, which you and I have talked about.

Otto, I rememer it otherwise. Certainly not mature, but definitely showing some very positive secondary development and a big change from the all black fruit and charcoal wine I remember before showing.

But that aside, after reading both your comments yesterday afternoon I realized we never got back to the Lafon on Sunday, so last night (open now 48 hours and vacuvinned, though we're not at all sure that does anything) we tasted it. And the news isn't good: there's a mild oxidative note on the nose. On the palate, unpleasantly dry tannins and especially concerning is the absolute lack of acidity. I have to stand by my initial tentative assessment--this wine isn't improving.
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Albany, New York

by Covert » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:10 pm

Jenise wrote:Covert, look at that range again--that's pretty broad, and 2008 is within that range. But I'll say this, Parker is often wrong, however in my experience he's wrong the other way, his drink-by dates are usually conservative and many wines show well even a decade later. I've had a few of them, which you and I have talked about...so last night (open now 48 hours and vacuvinned, though we're not at all sure that does anything) we tasted it. And the news isn't good: there's a mild oxidative note on the nose. On the palate, unpleasantly dry tannins and especially concerning is the absolute lack of acidity. I have to stand by my initial tentative assessment--this wine isn't improving.

Since 2008 is near the middle, Parker was really wrong, apparently. As I mentioned, I will drink my '98 LR over the holiday and render my opinion. If mine shows like yours, and I have no reason to think it won't, then I've got to check a bunch of '98s to see if the guru was wrong on others, too.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:19 pm

I've got a 1998 Troplong Mondot on deck. Maybe it will get opened sooner rather than later.
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Albany, New York

by Covert » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:59 pm

Jenise,

I'm going to have to wait until next weekend to try this wine. My father and his wife visited us at camp, and I didn't want to take a chance on a less-than-"smooth" offering for the woman. She was enjoying the wines very much. We had great luck with a '98 Cantemerle, '00 Rollan de By and '97 Barde Haut.

Covert
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Albany, New York

by Covert » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:19 am

Café Adirondack might be likened to a home for wayward girls, where they could be straightened out to one’s liking rather then cured in the classical sense. Once before I found a bottle heretofore hopelessly harsh flourishing there, a St-Esteph from a hard year, just like the 1998 Lafon-Rochet.

And likewise I admit I might have created my relationship rather than discerned it. A discerning would cast question on Jenise’s wine’s provenance, whilst a creating is just what it is.

The first sniff of the liquid’s deep, dark fruit revealed that something was hidden, rather than what was hidden. You didn’t have it; you just knew subconsciously that it was there to be found in time. Time was short before the lady behind the curtain revealed her self, if difficult to describe. Far off memories emerged like forest springs just out of range. There was an herb I should know well, maybe bay leaf, – and earth, leather, cedar, evergreen – but, not in their pure forms. This was what made this wine exciting to me: everything was off from what it seemed, more like an expressionistic representation of referential reality. If I had to pick a word, it would be elegance, classical Bordeaux elegance.

Guessing an element of this class definition, I will say resonance, back and forth from cab to Merlot. Just when you thought it was one, it was the other, a trixter dancing a synergistic waltz. If there was a flaw, someone like Parker might retail its attenuated length. To me it created a delightful dark corridor walk into a little garden of spice, like a single note sometimes used to cast a turning-on-end question mark finish on a powerful, full concerto.

I think I know what critics refer to as weight, specifically picking up weight. It is like you could swear your glass got heavier, and you guess it is because the molecules are somehow becoming more packed. An ethereal concentration without accompanying thickness, suggesting an unearthly purity in balance with its whatever earthly taste.

A man of distinction arose from an adjacent table, with his wife. He carried the tools of wine portage, and glanced at mine, forming instantaneous camaraderie. Catching my eye, he said I must order the pecan pie, and they exited into the night. I said I would to his back, even though it would be the first time in a very long time. My wife, Lynn, doesn’t permit it, for health reasons, and to maintain our only claim to fame, perfectly flat stomachs at 65.

At dinner’s end, Jessica, our uncommonly comely waitress suggested the same. I said she obviously didn’t eat such stuff herself, judging from her beautiful figure. She looked at me confusedly and after silence held up both her hands for my second inspection, remarking that she had always considered her digits rather common. ‘Oh – not your finger, I said “figure.”’

“Oh yes, that’s pretty good,” the girl said with an appreciative smile, “I walk thirteen miles a day.” And she began to elaborate the specific trails she likes to walk, including their ponds and peak vistas. I love the Adirondacks. We drove the entire ten miles back to camp without seeing a single second car. And it was the best pie, maybe even the best desert, I ever tasted.