The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTNs: 05 Steenberg Semillon and 03/05 Michel Gros HCNs

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

WTNs: 05 Steenberg Semillon and 03/05 Michel Gros HCNs

by Oswaldo Costa » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:52 am

Dinner at my friends Sergio and Bela, who made excellent pasta with mushrooms and rare roast beef with madeira sauce. An opportunity to try a south african white that was given to me a few weeks ago and contrast two vintages of Michel Gros Hautes Cotes de Nuits.

2005 Steenberg Semillon South Africa 14.0%
Strident gold yellow with a touch of bronze, reminiscent of sauternes. Nose of apricot and, curiously, smoked ham. Taste confirms the apricot and the strange smoked ham, so Sergio brings out some salami. Also citrus and capsicum. With time, the ham recedes and the capsicum becomes overwhelming and distasteful. Always interested in trying something different, but no thanks.

2005 Michel Gros Hautes Cotes de Nuits 13.0%
Attractive nose of cherry, leather and green stems. High acidity, making the tongue tingle, but with sweetness to match. Good body, good fruit, simple but satisfying.

2003 Michel Gros Hautes Cotes de Nuits 12.5%
Same cherry nose, except darker, with less leather. Also less acidity tingle, reflecting the vintage. More tannic, surprisingly (to me). Fruit is more dense and serious, but that may be a reflection of the extra two years in the bottle. Marcia preferred this but I preferred the 05.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTNs: 05 Steenberg Semillon and 03/05 Michel Gros HCNs

by David M. Bueker » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:38 am

At least you tried the Semillon. 8)

I have never been enamored of the wines from Domaine Michel Gros. To me they seem overpriced, but having the Gros name on the bottle gives a lot of room on the pricing scale.
Decisions are made by those who show up